Why become a member? ×

SPECTOR® Coda Deluxe 4 USA MODEL MADE IN THE WOODSTOCK, NY WORKSHOP. - *WITHDRAWN*
£2200
Hertfordshire

Sparky Mark

WITHDRAWN; apologies - Here is a stunning example of Stuart Spector's work, this CODA is adorned with a superb piece of high grade buckeye burl and has a Pau Ferro fingerboard fitted with quality abalone Spector crown inlays.

Neck

NECK CONSTRUCTION: 1-Piece Rock Maple, SPECTOR® 1962 Neck Shape™

FINGERBOARD: Pau Ferro

NECK INLAYS: Abalone Spector inlays

NUMBER OF FRETS: 20

SCALE LENGTH: 34"

RADIUS: 7.25"

WIDTH AT NUT: 1.5"

STRING SPACING AT BRIDGE: 0.75"

Hardware

BRIDGE HEX KEY SIZE: 2mm

TRUSS HEX KEY SIZE: 5mm

COLOR: Chrome
BRIDGE: Hipshot A style
TUNERS: Schaller®
STRAP BUTTONS: Dunlop® Dual Design™

Electronics
TONE CIRCUIT: Aguilar® OBP-2™ with passive tone and active/passive switching
CIRCUIT TYPE: 9-Volt Active
BRIDGE PICKUP: Aguilar® J™
NECK PICKUP: Aguilar® J™
PICKUP TYPE: Passive - Single Coil, This bass is Active or Passive via Push-Pull Pot

Body
SPECTOR® Original Coda™ Body Shape
BODY CONSTRUCTION: Lightweight Alder
PICK GUARD: None
Top: Buckeye Burl top - £400 option
FINISH OPTIONS: High Gloss

Weight: 4kg/9lb 2oz

Condition is excellent/unmarked other than a single ding on the body top inside edge; shown circled in one photo.

Comes with a Spector Hardcase with key (made in Canada by TKL), a Spector Deluxe padded gig bag, a pair of Dunlop strap locks and the truss rod and bridge allen keys.

Price is £2,200 by cash/bank transfer collected or local delivery/meet up close(ish) to Hertford.  Thanks for looking. More info and review below the photos. Please PM me for more info/photos.

20220616_123922.thumb.jpg.18ca6b1f7ce6113889e115e305177cef.jpg

ABOUT THE CODA 4™

It is no joke that Stuart Spector is always thinking about new ways to bring new avenues to improve player experience and offer new soundscapes for musicians to explore.

The Coda™ Bass is the perfect example of how Stuart looks to take classic ideas and put a decidedly SPECTOR® twist on them. Part homage to the great bass sounds and styles of the past and yet new and refreshing because of the attention to detail and hand-crafted construction, the Coda™ is nothing short of a new SPECTOR® Classic.

"But why do something that's been done before?"

Do not let the familiar and more traditional styling deceive you.  This bass is a thoroughbred SPECTOR® through and through.  All of the things that make our NS-Bass™ models so popular are present in the Coda™. 

It's these little details and the fact that these basses are hand-made by Stuart Spector and his master craftsmen in our Woodstock Workshop that sets the Coda™ apart from the rest.  SPECTOR® players are always first to point out how the necks of their guitars and basses are notably better than any instrument they've ever played.  We invite you to try a Coda™ and see if you don't agree with us. 

"We feel we've created something new and special

honouring those classic designs of years past.  "

~ Stuart Spector

Spector Coda Review 2011

Stuart Spector is a legend in the bass world. His instruments have provided the backbone to bands like Metallica and Living Colour, and have often been imitated. Spector’s Coda series is made by hand by the man himself and his small team in the USA, and unlike his more sleek models like the NS, which still looks futuristic over 30 years after its debut, the Coda pays tribute to an altogether more vintage aesthetic.
THE LOWDOWN
I reviewed both the Coda 4 (four string) and Coda 5 (five string) basses. Each features: a one-piece rock-maple neck with a 20-fret  Pau Ferro (Bolivian rose¬wood) fretboard carved into Spector’s 1962 neck shape; a lightweight alder body; Aguilar OBP-2 active tone circuits; passive Aguilar J single coils; Schaller tuners; Dunlop Dual Design strap pins; and 34-inch scale lengths. The  fret radius on each instrument is a curvy and comfortable 7.25 inches. Lined or unlined fretless fretboards are available at no additional charge.
The Coda is available in four colours: creme, solid black, candy tangerine and metallic blue. I reviewed the Coda 4 in Candy Tangerine and the Coda 5 in solid black. The workmanship of both basses was absolutely flawless. The crucial neck joint area is unbelievably tight, ensuring unfettered energy transfer between the wood grains of the neck and body. The finish is perfectly applied – something you really appreciate on a jet-black instrument like the Coda 5 on review –  and the fretwork is incredible. Bass players often aren’t as picky about the condition of their frets as guitarists, since there’s less bending involved, so I’ve played some basses with pretty woeful frets. The Codas leave them all in the dust. The sheer smoothness of the fret ends encouraged me to get more adventurous in my arrangements, throwing in more slides and grace notes than I would otherwise attempt, simply because the instruments felt so damn agreeable to such techniques.
FACE THE BASS
The Coda’s tones are very punchy, powerful, dynamic and balanced. The low end is deep and tight, the treble is present and raspy (in a good way) and the midrange is very musical, placed smack bang in the middle of the midrange spectrum rather than being an overly boomy low-mid or overly honky upper-mid voice. The bass’ unplugged tone is noticeably piano-like in tone, attack and sustain, and I quite happily spent about an hour and a half playing the Coda 5 unplugged before it dawned upon me that I should plug it in and hear what it could do through an amp.
The Coda’s “plugged in” tone is similar to it’s unplugged voice: balanced, sustaining and with great dynamics. Because the pickups are passive and only the pre¬amp is active, you can switch the preamp off and use the bass with a more vintage tone, which is great for straight-ahead rock and old-school soul and R&B. The ability to boost the treble and bass via the active pre-amp maintains the balanced tone and sustain characteristics while building upon them for a percussive, snappy slap-and-pop tone, and dipping out the treble and keeping the bass up high creates a killer dub voice. I also liked using the bass pot to reduce the low frequency a little, to allow the instrument to sit more neatly within a recording that featured double-tracked seven-string electric guitars.
IN A CLASS OF THEIR OWN
The Codas are world-class basses that are built with a discriminating touch to create, dare I say it, champagne tones. The workmanship really is second to none, and the only reason I’m not immediately wiring money to the distributor so I can keep the basses instead of returning them after the review is because my bank manager would kill me.
By Peter Hodgson
Price: RRP $4199.99 (Coda 4); $4399.99 (Coda 5) 

Edited by Sparky Mark
Withdrawn
  • Like 15

• Sparky Mark changed the title to WITHDRAWN - SPECTOR® Coda Deluxe 4 USA MODEL MADE IN THE WOODSTOCK, NY WORKSHOP.