Why become a member? ×

Need a fill in cab.... lightweight, pub giggable 2x10 or 1x12

RichardH

Cheap options needed really, as I will be selling it on in a couple of months time. Been looking for secondhand stuff, but the Markbass 102Ps etc all seem to go for £350+ - not that far off new price. Other secondhand stuff is miles away from me (Lewes, East Sussex) - so not too many options. Only ones being an Ampeg SVT210AV and a little 150W Ashdown vs112 - both of which are probably a bit underpowered maybe? Only need it to cover a couple of gigs until my "proper" cabs are ready....

So, new options that I might not lose too much money one that come to mind are:

Ashdown RM-112T-EVO II 

GK NEO 112-II

Markbass Traveler 121H?

Markbass Traveler 102P?

Any other ideas? Or could I get away with that Ampeg.... I'm wondering if it could with a bit of PA support...

From the new options listed I’d go for the Markbass 102P, purely down to it being two speaker cones so moving more air. All of the brands mentioned are good but I think this one would handle being a standalone cab better.

I had one of the Ampeg 210AV cabs and whilst it sounded great, due to its very small size I wouldn’t have wanted to gig it on its own.

Just now, Lozz196 said:

From the new options listed I’d go for the Markbass 102P, purely down to it being two speaker cones so moving more air. All of the brands mentioned are good but I think this one would handle being a standalone cab better.

I had one of the Ampeg 210AV cabs and whilst it sounded great, due to its very small size I wouldn’t have wanted to gig it on its own.

Yes, I did the sound for a gig using one of those, and I seem to remember it needed a lot of PA support.

2 hours ago, RichardH said:

On eBay there's a 102P for sale in Lancing, but it's up for £350 + £15 shipping (would cost a bit to drive over to collect!) - and Andertons have them new for £389!

I almost messaged that eBay seller to tell him I could buy a new one delivered for £24 more than he was asking, but then thought why bother!? 

I have a traveller 151P going spare which I would let go for £220, but I’m a looooong way away from you.

30 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I almost messaged that eBay seller to tell him I could buy a new one delivered for £24 more than he was asking, but then thought why bother!? 

I have a traveller 151P going spare which I would let go for £220, but I’m a looooong way away from you.

Cheers - my daughter lives in Lytham, and in fact is visiting us at the moment, but not sure she would have appreciated dragging that down on the train as well as the baby 😄

• Like 1

Hmmm - can't find either of those - found a WCA 211 pro for £120 but that will weigh a ton!

There's a chap in Burgess Hill selling what was a Warwick CCL but without the amp (has a pitchblack pro in it at the moment), tarted up with fender grillcloth etc. He's actually sold the korg, but not sure whether £120 or so for an unknown 1x12 is sensible.... 

14 minutes ago, RichardH said:

Ahh - found it now - blimey, Marketplace is strange to search.

I think I am sorted though, a certain person of this parish has offered me a loaner cab - all will be revealed shortly!

I was just about to suggest some kind BC person may be able to help you out, nice work! 

• Like 1

The 4x8 looks an interesting buy for someone. If I was down there I'd definitely give it a punt at £110. It was called Son of Henry, made between 1994-97 with Henry VIII being the 8x8 speaker. Famously punchy apparently but looks to be becoming a collectors item.

image.thumb.png.3953ab67ab18407a2324af1066875ac6.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the loaner cab turned out to be a total stonker! @stevie sent me a spare BC112 "development" cab and it did a fantastic job. I'll let Stevie comment further on it if he chooses to, but I can't imagine needing more than one of these little beasties, particularly with the fitted driver.

Here's a bit of video of it in action....

Creep

https://www.facebook.com/HighStreetNewhaven/videos/752244816220218

Alive

https://www.facebook.com/HighStreetNewhaven/videos/5103234413125732

...note me spotting I was still in Drop D 🙄 proves I could hear myself OK 🤣

• Like 1