Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Super 12T -- non-functioning T..?

Rich

Hi all

I've noticed that my Super 12T isn't giving the bright snap at the top end that I'd expect from a cab with a tweeter -- the specs say the usable freq range tops out at 22kHz, but I don't think it's anywhere near that. My old 1x12 practice combo's top end used to sound similar until I added a crossover and bullet tweeter, and now it's got a far more noticeable snap than the S12T. For this reason, I'm starting to wonder if the S12T's tweeter is working. Anyone know the specs of the tweeters they use? I guess it could also be the x-over, but I think the tweeter could be the place to start.

It looks like an Eminence APT-80 bullet tweeter from the pictures I've seen. Before buying a replacement, I'd check the internal wiring. You might be able to get to the crossover by unscrewing the rear input panel. I suspect it's fixed to the back of the panel. Look for charred or dislodged components and broken leads. The most likely cause - and this is pure guesswork - is the L-pad (the tweeter volume control). Check the rotary movement of the L-pad. If it's stiff and scrapes, it's likely to be faulty.

If you haven't got one already, buy yourself a cheap Chinese multimeter from B&Q or The Range. You can use it to test continuity between connections. It will also test for a blown tweeter (open circuit). A quick call to Barefaced wouldn't harm, if only to get their price for a replacement tweeter, although they're normally available from the usual sources.

Edited by stevie

14 hours ago, stevie said:

If you haven't got one already, buy yourself a cheap Chinese multimeter from B&Q or The Range. 

I have a very nice Avo meter that I *ahem* borrowed from work on a very long term basis. ;) 

Thanks all. Plenty to go on 👍