Why become a member? ×

Cars?....

NickD

.... Yeah, I know, wrong forum!

So I scrapped my big ol' dirty diesel yesterday, and I'm looking around for something more ULEZ friendly.... and I think in the not too distant future double bass friendly.

I'm looking at older stuff, 2006-2009, and my options are limited. The estate I got rid of would do camping trips with the kids easily, and when we needed to, a full drum kit, my bass and amp (seats down obviously. I'm finding it hard to envisage the dimensions of a DB, but want to make sure that when I finally succumb, I have a car that will handle it. I'm sure a Zafira will be fine, and the Astra/Mondeo Estates, not sure about the C/Max, there's a lot of bargains about and they look pretty roomy with the seats down...

So, what's everyone driving?

Suzuki Splash - small car, but the rear seats fold completely flat and no boot lip.

You can fit a DB in everything but the smallest smartcar using the upsidedown on the passenger seat method, the main difficulty with hatchback vehicles isn't fitting the DB in (even things like the Yaris and Micra will cope fine) it is manouvering the DB over the lip as many vehicles rear doors don't open flat. Prior to the splash, I had a wagon R which replaced a much larger skoda estate(which was a pain because of the boot lip) - being able to slide the DB in and out makes life a lot easier and reduces risk of back and instrument damage.

• Thanks 1

My son's old bass teacher drove his round in a Ford Fiesta, in the front passenger seat pushed right back with seat reclined as far as it would go, so it set in the footwell leaning back.

I drive mine round in a VW Golf, with the back seat flat, and the neck slightly poking out between the two front seats. So I don't think you need a huge car.

• Thanks 1

Have a look at a Toyota Avensis estate or hatch. Roomy, comfortable and bulletproof as far as reliability goes. Older Toyotas are ULEZ friendly (I have a 2003 Camry, which is fine). Not the cheapest option, but excellent in the long run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't go too small - although I used to fit mine in a Fiesta and then various tiny rental and car club cars, I never liked the way it reduced visibility when upside down in the passenger seat, or the way it sat close above the handbrake and gearstick when put in from the boot with the back seats down. Currently we're keeping our 2007 Zafira going until it needs anything too expensive doing.

• Thanks 1

Zafiras of that kind of vintage are on my list. I assume they're comparable to the Grand Scenic I used to have, and I could get full drums in hard cases, bass and amp in that without an issue.

I used to run around with DB and a 215 in the back of a Dastun Sunny wagon but it would have been bad news for me or the DB in anything more than a minor fender bender.

I really should be in the habit of strapping stuff in like I used to do with the 15 on the front seat. Seat belt engaged and strap through handle and around the belt.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Is this for DB and drums or that was just an entertaining anecdote?

Not ideal but a 3/4 will fit in a original Mini so your choices are wide open unless you are the drum wagon also.

Bass and Drums would be the ideal, the Mrs is our drummer.

DB fits in my Skoda citygo.  DB + pjb flight case amp, stool, music stand all fit too.  Add a bass guitar or two plus a bigger amp and I need the Octavia ... yes the boot lip is a pain, as is the fact that in all the modern cars I looked at the seats don't fold flush with the boot floor.  Car designers just don't take dB players into account!

I had an astravan for work, but the load bay was 4" shorter than my bass... grr.

• Thanks 1

On 16/06/2022 at 14:09, Dan Dare said:

Have a look at a Toyota Avensis estate or hatch. Roomy, comfortable and bulletproof as far as reliability goes. Older Toyotas are ULEZ friendly (I have a 2003 Camry, which is fine). Not the cheapest option, but excellent in the long run.

Careful with the Avensis though - the older ones, 2010ish were perfect, but the newer ones don't seem to have a boot that opens up completely. Mine was great - would still be driving it now if someone hadn't driven into the front of me a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Gareth Hughes said:

Careful with the Avensis though - the older ones, 2010ish were perfect, but the newer ones don't seem to have a boot that opens up completely. Mine was great - would still be driving it now if someone hadn't driven into the front of me a few years ago.

Good point. As Nick was talking about getting something older and not too expensive, I didn't envisage he would be looking at post 2010 vehicles. Sorry to hear about your Avensis. They're great cars. I nearly bought one, but found a rare Camry (just 50 of my particular model on the road in the UK, according to the How Many Left? site), which I couldn't resist. One owner from new, fsh, unmarked bodywork, etc. I'm hoping nobody drives into it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Good point. As Nick was talking about getting something older and not too expensive, I didn't envisage he would be looking at post 2010 vehicles. Sorry to hear about your Avensis. They're great cars. I nearly bought one, but found a rare Camry (just 50 of my particular model on the road in the UK, according to the How Many Left? site), which I couldn't resist. One owner from new, fsh, unmarked bodywork, etc. I'm hoping nobody drives into it.

Yeah, I'm not looking too new. I'd hate to have a car I'm precious about around here, that would be asking trouble. 2007/2008 ish. I've kinda excluded the people carriers (although I've run 2 Grand Scenics before) as they're not particularly economical and most I've seen have been pretty neglected. Current faves are the Focus and Astra estates, plenty of load room and low tax/good mpg. Off to look at a Megane Estate later too.

My wife’s Zafira 7 seater is a dream for double bass. In my 12 years of covering large distances touring with a double bass I have had some great cars and also made some mind boggling idiotic choices…

It is true that you can get a double bass in any car (I toured the U.K. in a Fiat Panda 4x4), however, if you transport the double bass often, you don’t want to risk putting your back out every single time you put the bass in and out, and you don’t want the potential to damage the bass either.

So, whatever you go for, I’d make sure it is long enough to slide the bass in from the boot with the seats flat (or a 60/40 split) and that it does not have a boot lip. Other than that, anything goes. Best of luck!

Edited by Rabbie
Typo
  • Thanks 1

It's a done deal, I picked up a pretty tidy 2008 Megane Estate, FSH, , flat load in, and really clean. I took a tape measure with me, not sure what the seller thought I was planning.

Hopefully that's us sorted for a few years!