Why become a member? ×

P bass pickguards UK?

Hydra19

2 hours ago, lee650 said:

Yes I've recently used Brian Pilanz (earlpilanz on ebay) and he's got a few shades of Celluloid Tortoise. I had contacted Tiny Tone but I didn't like their colours, and they came out twice the price of Earlpilanz or Bass Doc.

I had a Dark red Tort and vintage Tort from Brian and my old Jazz had a Bass Doc. I know which type you mean without much yellow as it's what I was after. The only place I've seen that was Spitfire$$$$$$$$$

Below is Earlpilanz colour choice, I suspect they'll all have too much yellow for you.

BTW - both these guards were £30 posted and I had them within a few day,including the BB when I sent a template, highly recommended. He also does little samples of his Tort on EBay for £1.99 (cheaper if you buy more) so you can "Try before you buy"

20220610_160551.thumb.jpg.a85d6259df0e7f8cbd01a518fee979e7.jpg

20220601_154133.jpg

20220609_131542.jpg

Screenshot_20220524-220552_Chrome.jpg

Which colour is which on your basses?

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys, the other pickguard arrived and it's not that great either, but I had little hope and I do feel it was nice of them to try to please and perhaps I should have researched some more before spending my money.
Those pickguards above look good to me actually. I got a tort for my Jaguar from WD Music and I was happy with that, I'm not super picky actually but I do know what sort I like, dark red, with minimal yellow spots and a variation of red and dark red. 
The Bass is a Momose and it would need to be custom cut. None of the replacement pickguards I had bought up until then fit, now I got 2 more that I don't like, and the one out of the 5 I do like, it doesn't fit on any of my basses and I got 3!

I bought one of those nitrate 65-79 celluloid from ebay/ reverb and it was ok, but it didn't fit. Luckily that one now fit on the white Fender Japan P bass so at least I got one of the replacement guards on a bass. 

All the time and money I've spent, Spitfire doesn't look so bad in hindsight. Either way, Tiny tone aim to please, but do ask for some images of the pickguard

• Like 1

Here is the pic of the guard on another bass. I do call this the abomination guard but it doesn't look like the end of the world is coming. Worked out that it fit the blue bass by accident. The white one is wearing the chinese £20 pickguard20220623_180655.thumb.jpg.551c0bc0ae1c0b263499972f631b66ed.jpg20220623_180702.thumb.jpg.09d2493da5db2790e4fa262a167cdbcc.jpg

Edited by Hydra19
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hydra19 said:

Here is the pic of the guard on another bass. I do call this the abomination guard but it doesn't look like the end of the world is coming. Worked out that it fit the blue bass by accident. The white one is wearing the chinese £20 pickguard20220623_180655.thumb.jpg.551c0bc0ae1c0b263499972f631b66ed.jpg20220623_180702.thumb.jpg.09d2493da5db2790e4fa262a167cdbcc.jpg

Please don’t tell me the one on the right was 100 quid…???

1 hour ago, Hydra19 said:

20220623_180655.thumb.jpg.551c0bc0ae1c0b263499972f631b66ed.jpg20220623_180702.thumb.jpg.09d2493da5db2790e4fa262a167cdbcc.jpg

Dear sir. 
that crews bass is a very lovely thing that I deeply would love to be able to afford - but not with that scratchplate 🤢

I understand others views may vary and on ther basses it may look fine

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Dear sir. 
that crews bass is a very lovely thing that I deeply would love to be able to afford - but not with that scratchplate 🤢

I understand others views may vary and on ther basses it may look fine

The bass is beautiful.

• Like 1

I just wanted to try another pickguard on it. It looks busy in a rude way with this pickguard, but I will put the original brown tort back. I unfortunately wasted my money as none of the pickguards I got are satisfactory and will need to continue looking and shopping but I learnt my lesson.

Jack's instrument services and Tiny Tone are one and the same I think, same address...
Glad you got the red tort and not the yellow abomination.
Anybody on here want to trade some P bass pickguards?
I got 3 extras in red tort, and 2 in dark brown tort

3 hours ago, Hydra19 said:

Jack's instrument services and Tiny Tone are one and the same I think, same address...
Glad you got the red tort and not the yellow abomination.
Anybody on here want to trade some P bass pickguards?
I got 3 extras in red tort, and 2 in dark brown tort

Can it come attatched to that blue bass? 

May I take advantage of this topic to get some feedback on the idea of putting a tortoiseshell pickguard of some sorts on a charcoal grey PJ?

Here some pics that may give an idea, apologies for the ridiculously sloppy editing job

Adobe_20220624_205514.jpg

Adobe_20220624_205507.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Hydra19 said:

They look very similar, but i somehow prefer the look of the 2nd photo, but i think it's because of the angle.

Thanks! It is the same tort pattern but taken from a different place, plus in one of the pictures it is stretched a bit more. It was not very deliberate, I just wanted to make sense of whether tort of some sort works in the first place. My impression is yes it does but it gives the bass a somewhat metal vibe which is not what I was after. I have tried to paint the bass black here and suddenly it makes much more sense and looks more vintage than metal. So probably no, grey bass with tort pickguard is not what I am after. But I may still make an attempt as I do not trust my sloppy photo editing much😁

On 24/06/2022 at 21:00, Paolo85 said:

May I take advantage of this topic to get some feedback on the idea of putting a tortoiseshell pickguard of some sorts on a charcoal grey PJ?

Here some pics that may give an idea, apologies for the ridiculously sloppy editing job

Adobe_20220624_205514.jpg

It works for Sean Hurley…

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sean+hurley+charcoal+frost&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=sinv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjA5oTzvMr4AhUUSkEAHZjaCwUQ_AUoAnoECAIQAg&biw=414&bih=719&dpr=3