Why become a member? ×

Ray 34 only works with stereo or shielded cable?

la bam

Hi all, I've just bought a used but immaculate ray 34 and it only works when using a cable with 2 stripes on the jack. Whether it be a patch cable type, or my wireless unit - boss wl 50.

It will not work at all with a regular guitar / bass cable.

It works superb, no hassle, eq and volume great, sound great, but only with a 2 striped jack......

Anyone any ideas why?

Edited by la bam

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

Stereo Jack fitted wired Ring 'n Sleeve instead of Tip 'n Sleeve?..

I'm not sure it can be that, assuming any amplifier input would be a mono jack input it wouldn't have a connection to the amp. 

Edit: I'd guess a regular mono cable shorts between the tip and ground connection, but by using a stereo cable the "short" connection is touching the ring and not shorting the tip to ground.

A new jack socket would sort it, though it might be that the existing one has bent a bit.

Edited by James Nada
  • Like 2

The TRS (two stripe) plug on the WL-50 probably has the extra connection for charging up the transmitter. Have you tried a mono cable straight into an amp? I’d plug a lead in and touch the tip to see if it hums then plug it in the bass and see what happens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, la bam said:

All my usual bass leads work fine with all my other basses and amps, just not this one.

Somebody must of changed the Jack on the bass 

It should be possible to either re-solder the Jack to the correct mono connection or swop the Jack socket completely 

I would imagine the wrong Jack socket is fitted or wired incorrectly 

Edited by BassAdder27

BBA1A240-AA4F-465E-8822-A05BB20B740B.thumb.png.892e3d33e7f82d1603c86d3912642f16.pngThe two versions of Jack sockets one above is mono ( what you should have ) 20360E83-5255-4008-AC50-47BCC402138E.thumb.png.89f62f86ee50340495354aa68335098e.png

and stereo the one you don’t want !

However a mono lead should work if someone connected to the end wiper contact but I suspect it’s wired to the first wiper stereo connection hence why your mono lead doesn’t work 

Edited by BassAdder27

Ah that makes sense … 

It must be wired wrong then or the tip wiper isn’t making contact with the Jack 

That is a very likely diagnosis I reckon yet very odd it works with a stereo lead ?

That must mean the tip is making contact so perhaps the inner contact isn’t connecting engaging the powered preamp 

This  all assumes a good battery is fitted and connected!

Edited by BassAdder27