Why become a member? ×

Nails amd nail cutting

Chienmortbb

1 hour ago, SpondonBassed said:

We decided to get a chiropodist who does home visits every ten to twelve weeks.  £27 each.  We've been doing that for about five years now.  It's made life a lot more pleasant for us both.

Yup, me too.  Bending and twisting in that way was guaranteed to put my back out on anything less than averagely mobile day.  Added bonus is the chiropodist deals with hard skin, corns et al.  Plus he's a lovely chap and a good laugh. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Have you thought about doing yoga to help strengthen your back?

Me?  I've been doing it for a few years, switched from resistance training to stretching/core/yoga/pilates excercises at a gym locally - although I've been doing it at home since the start of COVID.  It helps but, for me, is not the complete answer.

6 hours ago, pbasspecial said:

Where is the thread going to eventually lead to?

I’m guessing “Do you take a dump before you gig and if so what brand of loo roll do you use? How many sheets, etc”

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

No need.  It's covered extensively in the DoI thread.

Spoiler

image.png.46a7a58b9c0ac8ed5ce09bcb43be0af6.png

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I always used straight nail clippers before going to a beauty school, which I found out about on https://www.nwcollege.edu/programs/nail-technology. I always wanted to know more about Nail Technology and how to work properly with my nails. The Northwest College School of Beauty taught me a lot about nail technology. Now I use curved nail clippers and smoothen out the left-out ridges with buffer blocks, which is amazing! When I was a kid, I used to bite my nails, but thankfully, I stopped when I had somewhere around 9 years old, haha.

Edited by Molelaner

I posted here a while back that as I have the inability to bite my nails due to a slight bit of tooth chippage.damage/crossover, my luxury item if I was on a desert island would be a decent pair of nail clippers.  Who cares about matches and record players?  Sensible nails is the way to go.

Ditched the oh-look-these-came-free-in-a-christmas-cracker clippers and bought these babies in early 2019: 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0762MBQ2G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Initially I hadn't appreciated how bad the old clippers were and I initially cut myself LOTS of times.  I suppose the old ones were just very blunt.

61oqZokB3HL._AC_SX466_.jpg

On 15/06/2022 at 12:54, nilebodgers said:

I have always used the mini wire cutters that are part of my electronics kit. I always found nail clippers to be too flexible and blunt to really do a clean job. The wire cutters leave a clean edge so I never need to file.

Oddly enough, I had my first ever podiatrist visit a couple of weeks back to look at a corn problem I am having and he used what looked exactly like a stainless-steel version of my mini wire cutters.

Same here. Bahco electronics side cutters, used the same pair for 25+ years, made in Sweden, still as sharp as hell. Also cuts through the toughest toe nails.

On 15/06/2022 at 16:38, bass_dinger said:

Carol Kaye allegedly used to bite Paul McCartney's nails too, but there is no evidence for that in EMI archives. 

Apparently, there are those that claim it was in actual fact James Jamerson. Again, there is no documentation to support the claim.

• Haha 1

It seems I may be in the minority in that I purposely let my two playing fingers have a little nail length on them, and use them to give my fingerstyle a percussive cutting edge, almost an attempt to replicate pick attack, without using a pick.  Works for me in heavy music I play.

• Like 1

On 29/07/2022 at 13:14, Kev said:

It seems I may be in the minority in that I purposely let my two playing fingers have a little nail length on them, and use them to give my fingerstyle a percussive cutting edge, almost an attempt to replicate pick attack, without using a pick.  Works for me in heavy music I play.

I am in that minority too. It gives variety in that I can also use the flat part of my finger if I want soft.

• Like 1

On 17/06/2022 at 11:35, pbasspecial said:

I’m guessing “Do you take a dump before you gig and if so what brand of loo roll do you use? How many sheets, etc”

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

If I remember correctly, I think it might have actually been mid-gig 2001 which was the last time I played live. I've been holding myself ever since in the event of possibly joining another band and having another gig to dump at. As I'm not an expert plopper and constrained financially, I would probably opt for an "entry level" brand of toilet roll. I hear Co-Op's own recycled is good value. I would most likely use one sheet folded in half. 

Nails? Well nail clippers seem to do the job. I guess the clue is in the name.

On 17/06/2022 at 11:35, pbasspecial said:

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Karcher, every time! 

68B01156-CB52-49F0-87DF-0F7F491C4770.webp

Edited by oldslapper
  • Haha 1