Why become a member? ×

Nails amd nail cutting

Chienmortbb

I have always used the mini wire cutters that are part of my electronics kit. I always found nail clippers to be too flexible and blunt to really do a clean job. The wire cutters leave a clean edge so I never need to file.

Oddly enough, I had my first ever podiatrist visit a couple of weeks back to look at a corn problem I am having and he used what looked exactly like a stainless-steel version of my mini wire cutters.

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

A piece of 400 or 600 wet and dry paper does the job. A sheet will last for ages

But how do you attach it to the rotary sander?

1 hour ago, meterman said:

I used to get Carol Kaye to bite my nails down to the quick for me, but when she put her prices up I had to do it myself.

Shame, because she had a real flair for it. But I’m not flipping made of money. 

0A1C7227-88DF-4F87-B0EA-48DCD3993A60.jpeg.7943ab0ddd1578210c54b179aaf81a45.jpeg

Carol Kaye allegedly used to bite Paul McCartney's nails too, but there is no evidence for that in EMI archives. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, meterman said:

I used to get Carol Kaye to bite my nails down to the quick for me, but when she put her prices up I had to do it myself.

Shame, because she had a real flair for it. But I’m not flipping made of money. 

0A1C7227-88DF-4F87-B0EA-48DCD3993A60.jpeg.7943ab0ddd1578210c54b179aaf81a45.jpeg

Bob Babbit did mine; but then, in an interview Carol claimed she did them, not him! To be honest, it’s all a bit hazy now.

• Haha 6

I normally use the "Pincer" type shown above, plus a nail file.

On 9 fingers, the issue is to keep the nail short enough.

On one finger, the issue is to stop the nail wearing away - it gets worn by down-strums on acoustic guitar or 'clawhammer' strokes on the banjo.

Recently I've taken to having an acrylic nail on that finger (local nail bar)... helping so far, but is even really hard to cut when it starts to grow out.

3A3F48E0-5921-4026-9D80-82F6B941CC08.thumb.jpeg.314c08a7257547532220aaca8605cecb.jpeg

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I'll check the turds in my veg plot.

That's dedication beyond the pale.

I once resorted to a sharp knife from the bar. Needs must. Had practice from resorting to my pocket knife when the trimmers went missing.

Scissors work well enough too.

File? Your tool isn't sharp enough.

I’ve always used a pair of curved nail scissors and then an emery board to smooth. 

Have you noticed how much quicker nails appear to grow when the weather is hotter?

Need to do mine at least once a week, as I can’t stand the feeling of nails against fretboard.

As for toenails...

Some years ago I found it was becoming increasingly difficult to cut my own toenails.  Part of it was bend almost double and trying to breathe at the same time.  Since I became a bit more, er, cuddly this has been a challenge.  The other part is that I wear varifocals but the close focus part of the lens is at the bottom when I really need it to be at the top.  This invariable results in neck ache from bending my head back for focus at the same time as being crouped up, so to speak.

Jack hasn't been able to trim his own toenails for a few years and the chore fell to me.  I hated the job because he's such a baby about it.

We decided to get a chiropodist who does home visits every ten to twelve weeks.  £27 each.  We've been doing that for about five years now.  It's made life a lot more pleasant for us both.

9 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

Where is the thread going to eventually lead to?

I’m guessing “Do you take a dump before you gig and if so what brand of loo roll do you use? How many sheets, etc”

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

One to clean, one to polish?

• Haha 1