Why become a member? ×

Loog guitars for kids, anyone got one?

uk_lefty

My five, almost six, year old LOVES playing my guitars and basses but she is a little small for them. I keep seeing ads for Loog guitars, a little three string guitar built for kids that comes with all kinds of learning materials. They're £88. Wondering if anyone has one and what they think of them? The summer holidays could be very long with my kids off school and nursery so thought this could be nice but it's a lot of cash... Any thoughts welcome

One thing my 7yo struggles with (apart from having the attention snap of a gnat) is managing all the strings. Going down to three is great because then they can focus one fretting finger on each string and strum all three without worrying about which strings to mute or play open or whatever. I got her a mini Strat copy for £20 on facebook, it looks and sounds great and I reckon she'll get there eventually, but I wish I'd seen the Loog first!

A baritone ukulele would use the first four strings of a guitar - the Loog, the first three.   However, the Loog looks and sounds more cool than a ukulele and is perhaps designed as a trainer instrument for guitar. 

I agree that a guitar has too many strings, and it takes time to work out both what strings to play and which to mute. 

Tenor guitars are a thing too. They're just a bit larger than a baritone ukulele, essentially 4-string guitars tuned ADGB (the middle 4 strings of a regular guitar) and there are some affordable options out there. 

I've seen the Loog guitars, and at the price they seem like fun but also like something any kid will quickly outgrow if they're serious about wanting to make music. Also, I would hate having just the GBE-strings and not at least some bottom to make it sound more like a regular guitar the way I recognize it on recordings. Even as a young kid that would have bothered me eventually. 

• 1 year later...