Why become a member? ×

Dear Steinberger playing friends...

Ajoten

I've got a headless but not bodyless bass, but .... don't rest my forearm on the body (or anything). Resting your forearm on the body leads to an angle where you play with a bent wrist which is not a good idea (rsi etc). Whilst a lot of players do it, that doesn't mean it should be held up as the gold standard.

Maybe bodyless is a good idea as it'll stop you doing it!

17 minutes ago, Boodang said:

Maybe bodyless is a good idea as it'll stop you doing it!

Which is precisely why I'm asking actually 🙃 . Have a sitting gig and need to avoid sharp wrist angle... but also can't be holding arm out without resting somewhere or it'll put a static load on shoulder etc.

Options to try:

1. Explorer style to rest arm higher (pics of Entwistle suggests could work)

2. 335 style semi with large body for same reason (have tried this, it deffo helps)

3. Steinberger. Which might work, or elbow might drop even lower and be worse!

4. Try and play with wtvr on left leg, classical guitary, but gig gonna be stressful and don't want new techniques to occupy headspace too. Also not as fun as buying new bass.

So that's 3 potential forum threads haha. I'm starting with #3.

2 hours ago, Ajoten said:

Which is precisely why I'm asking actually 🙃 . Have a sitting gig and need to avoid sharp wrist angle... but also can't be holding arm out without resting somewhere or it'll put a static load on shoulder etc.

Options to try:

1. Explorer style to rest arm higher (pics of Entwistle suggests could work)

2. 335 style semi with large body for same reason (have tried this, it deffo helps)

3. Steinberger. Which might work, or elbow might drop even lower and be worse!

4. Try and play with wtvr on left leg, classical guitary, but gig gonna be stressful and don't want new techniques to occupy headspace too. Also not as fun as buying new bass.

So that's 3 potential forum threads haha. I'm starting with #3.

Yep, I play holding my arm out without resting it somewhere but I've always done that so it feels normal. Having said that when I play siting down (which is most of the time, including gigs), I rest the bass on my left leg, classical guitar style, which probably helps.

Edited by Boodang