Why become a member? ×

Does Yer Headstock Rock?

ChWillie

2 hours ago, Badscrew said:

But then made it bigger on a G&L

IIRC that was partly forced upon him due to Ernie Ball acquiring the rights to the 3+1 headstock design when they took over Music Man. They have certainly been very diligent in cracking down on other bass manufacturers who try and copy it.

4 hours ago, Doctor J said:

The Ibanez SR is, to me, an exceptional headstock design. Compact, well thought out and elegant.

Yep... with the worn pebble body, and that fine neck that connects the two... Likes an SR...

Edited by PaulThePlug

Does Your Headstock Rock?

To The Tune of The Sailor's Hornpipe

do_your_balls_hang_low.png

Does your headstock rock? Does it swing to and fro?
Can you tie it in a bow? Can you tie it in a knot?
Does it make a lusty clamour if you hit it with a hammer?
Can you do the double shuffle when your headstock rocks?

Can you bounce it off the wall like an Indian rubber ball?

Do you get a funny feeling when you bang it on the ceiling?

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Doctor J said:

The Ibanez SR is, to me, an exceptional headstock design. Compact, well thought out and elegant.

Have to agree. Never quite worked out why the lower numbered 5-string models are 3 over 2 but the premiums and prestiges are 2 over 3, though. Not that it matters at all - they both look fine.

I also quite like the somewhat similar Spector headstock that tends to grace their 5s, but I'm much less enamoured of the version that seems to be used more often on their 4s.

8 hours ago, Ed_S said:

I also quite like the somewhat similar Spector headstock that tends to grace their 5s, but I'm much less enamoured of the version that seems to be used more often on their 4s.

Same here - the 4 headstock puts me off for the same reason as the Ric headstock above, when the middle strings veer off after the bridge (same as gibson les paul headstocks) - I like the string to visually continue straight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Same here - the 4 headstock puts me off for the same reason as the Ric headstock above, when the middle strings veer off after the bridge (same as gibson les paul headstocks) - I like the string to visually continue straight.

You know, I guess that might even answer my other question about the 3/2 vs 2/3 on different SR models. When you retrofit the premium tuners to the non-premium basses, the G does take on a bit of a naff-looking angle due to the increased width of the shaft compared to the stock tuners. Putting 3 underneath means the G is further to the right and therefore straighter.

6D3255E8-FF0E-4868-8745-C0C28CA6E60F.jpeg.0a8d4b2baf6797756a58e8f1cae43b62.jpeg

I can live with that slight visual demerit in trade for the much nicer-looking tuning keys on the GB707s, though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah it's such a shame they have to ruin it with that bloody SDGR logo that looks like a font from a 90's word processor. 

Back in the mid-80's, when they designed and released the first SRs, a 90's word processor font was a glimpse into the future 😁

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, HippieNerd said:

...or in the case of my G&L 4 1.  

Hold on a minute, OP.  You are complaining about Fender headstocks but you own a G&L?

One of these, er, beauties?

images.jpeg

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I own a G&L, great bass with an eyesore at the end of the neck.  I personally believe the Fender Telecaster has the most beautiful headstock ever created.  But I'm a bassist so I don't have one.

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

Hold on a minute, OP.  You are complaining about Fender headstocks but you own a G&L?

images.jpeg

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I own a G&L, great bass with an eyesore at the end of the neck.  I personally believe the Fender Telecaster has the most beautiful headstock ever created.  But I'm a bassist so I don't have one.

I'm the OP who loves Fender and G&L headstocks.  But I can understand why he likes the G&L over the Fender.  It looks more modern, and not everyone is hooked on tradition.  Perfectly cool..

Edited by HippieNerd

On 15/06/2022 at 12:13, Rich said:

I've always loved the cool, functional simplicity of the Aria/Westone headstock. I definitely prefer 2+2 or 3+2 to 4 inline. 

PSX_20220615_111146.jpg

I think we have similar taste 😀

6xhuvud.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillyBass said:

images.jpeg

3+2 G&L headstocks are worse than these

2 hours ago, HippieNerd said:

I'm the OP who loves Fender and G&L headstocks.  But I can understand why he likes the G&L over the Fender.  It looks more modern, and not everyone is hooked on tradition.  Perfectly cool..

Ha, I see what you did there ;)

On 16/06/2022 at 01:42, HippieNerd said:

I seriously have never thought the Fender headstock too big, proportional to the rest.

Look at one on a Jag bass which is basically the same size as a P or J from memory and tell me it looks proportional, even referenced to a P or J. It looks like a child with a head it's yet to grow into.

The other reason I'm not fond of them is they often have large and heavy tuners that are all the way out on the end of a lever arm which makes them neck heavy, or at least heavier than it needs to be.

Edited by crazycloud
  • Like 1