Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury Festival

SteveXFR

4 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Apparently there's such a thing as an essential crystal!

If that was true, they would sell it in waitrose next to the essential focaccia!

4 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

The music shop is actually pretty good, it's the one shop I do use in town. The owner has had it since the 70's, nice old bloke.

It is - I spent a while in there when I was deciding to get a peerless. Sadly they couldn't get me the one I wanted to have so I had to get it elsewhere, otherwise I would.

• Like 1

On 16/06/2022 at 09:20, Cato said:

Bloody hell.

I was listening to most of those headliners 30 years ago during my teenage metal years.

I'd heard that no bands had come through to join the big boys for a long time, but that really brings it home.

Rectal smegma and Brutal sphincter would be on my must see list...

• Haha 2

I've never been and never wanted to go. And after watching the 50yrs of Glastonbury programme on BBC2 last night I think my stance is somewhat vindicated. 

I'm not one for being burnt to a crisp or alternatively drowning in a lake of dysentery. 

😁

Edited by Marvin
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I've never been and never wanted to go. And after watching the 50yrs of Glastonbury programme on BBC2 last night I think my stance is somewhat vindicated. 

I'm not one for being burnt to a crisp or alternatively drowning in a lake of dysentery. 

😁

That seems to be the standard for festivals in the UK. We simply don't have appropriate weather for outdoor ones, even in the summer.

Some years back The Terrortones had a "summer" season of festivals booked. It rained at every single one part from one the events where we played indoors. At one there was water dripping onto the stage through several holes in the "roof" and our gear had to be set up to avoid these areas. At another it was also so cold that our guitarist wore gloves while playing in an effort to try and stop has hands from seizing up.

As a punter I wouldn't attend any festival unless it was local and free to get in so I wouldn't feel compelled to stay when the weather turned bad, in order to get my money's worth.

As a performer, I'd be happy to play so long as I can turn up just before we need to set up the gear and leave immediately after we have finished playing.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marvin said:

😁

I've been to quite a few Glastonbury festivals and what they show on TV is always the extremes. I've been there wet years and seen the TV crews filming the very worst spot on site which is nothing like the majority of the site. 

There's always shade somewhere when it's sunny and an endless supply of free water. 

The crowds can be pretty extreme at the pyramid stage but I've always found better music and much more bearable crowds at the smaller stages.

It's not for everyone but don't believe what you see on TV and in the papers, journalists like to sensationalise a bit.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I've been to quite a few Glastonbury festivals and what they show on TV is always the extremes. I've been there wet years and seen the TV crews filming the very worst spot on site which is nothing like the majority of the site. 

There's always shade somewhere when it's sunny and an endless supply of free water. 

The crowds can be pretty extreme at the pyramid stage but I've always found better music and much more bearable crowds at the smaller stages.

It's not for everyone but don't believe what you see on TV and in the papers, journalists like to sensationalise a bit.

Yeah the weather in the UK is generally bad enough to complain about but very very rarely bad enough to do any actual harm.

Ive been at Glastonbury in a heat wave and in heavy rain. It was still fun.

Edited by tegs07

10 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Yeah the weather in the UK is generally bad enough to complain about but very very rarely bad enough to do any actual harm.

Ive been at Glastonbury in a heat wave and in heavy rain. It was still fun.

So have I. When I got home and saw the TV coverage, it was nothing like the actual experience I had. 

The biggest problem by far though is the risk of being effected by the horrors of Coldplay. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

😁

Me too, no interest at all in going to any of the big - expensive - festivals as a punter.

But I'll happily go to the big biker rallies (Rock & Blues Custom Show, Bulldog Bash, etc) which are pretty much the same thing but with more bikes.