Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury Festival

SteveXFR

I’m not sure how important the line-up is. Of the people I know who go, all in the affluent 35+ bracket, who they are going to see doesn’t seem to be important. Most of them, to my my knowledge, hardly ever go to any other live music. They’re  going for “the Glastonbury experience “, and would shell-out the money whoever was playing. If their attitude is common, sad as it may be to us on this forum, what point is there putting much effort and imagination into booking acts? There never seems to be any difficulty in selling the tickets.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

I’m not sure how important the line-up is. Of the people I know who go, all in the affluent 35+ bracket, who they are going to see doesn’t seem to be important. Most of them, to my my knowledge, hardly ever go to any other live music. They’re  going for “the Glastonbury experience “, and would shell-out the money whoever was playing. If their attitude is common, sad as it may be to us on this forum, what point is there putting much effort and imagination into booking acts? There never seems to be any difficulty in selling the tickets.

true dat....

2 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Just think of the exposure and downloads ......( where have I heard that before?)

They're effectively paid by getting a free pass to see most of the festival (you're off more than working) plus three meals a day and nice camping. 

Most people who do it think it's a great deal. 

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

Forgot to mention 'locals' can get daily tickets too, they were £30 back in the day, maybe more now.

£90 now and only available for the Sunday. The bus home is at midnight so when we got the day passes, we just stayed all night then walked to Shepton Mallet in the morning and got a bus home.

20 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Some bands (Supergrass, and McFly) are surprisingly low in the lineups, and on smaller stages, when considering their record sales and placings in the Hit Parade.

They both sold a lot of records a long time ago and have since been forgotten. Supergrass only ever really had a couple big hits

15 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I went 3 years in a row in the 80s. I have no idea who was playing. 

That is the same experience I had in the 80's early 90's.

I still have friends that have gone every year (when not a fallow year) since and still love it. 

The magic stopped shining for me when the clientele changed. 

I am writing this whilst on the ferry to IOW Festival!!! I don't expect this to be amazing but I will enjoy what's on offer. 

55 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

They both sold a lot of records a long time ago and have since been forgotten. Supergrass only ever really had a couple big hits

If we're talking about sold a lot of records a long time ago, look at Saturday's headliner 😉

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Old folks moan about music for youngsters. 

Back in my day etc etc. 

I do think we're showing our age a bit.

Billy Eilish is probably the biggest act in the world right now.

Kendrick Lamarr is one of the biggest names in hip hop.

Olivia Rodriguez is massive.

Those three could easily sell out stadium tours in their own right.

Then on the Other stage there's Foals and Idles who are among the biggest 'indie'bands in the UK. AJ Tracey, probably currently the biggest UK hip hop act barring Stormzy and Burna Boy who's just breaking through into the UK mainstream but is pretty much the biggest star in Africa.

And that's before you start looking at the various lesser known gems performing on all the other stages.

It may not be appealing to middle age Basschatters (and I include myself in that demographic) but doubt there'll be a stronger line up at any other European festival this year.

I may even tune in myself to catch Herbie Hancock.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, paddy109 said:

That is the same experience I had in the 80's early 90's.

I still have friends that have gone every year (when not a fallow year) since and still love it.

Indeed - I think it was a later thing when BBC started to broadcast the music that the music was the main thing that people went for. It wasn't, and I doubt it is now.

when I was young I went to see the sights, hang out with my friends in a field, with food, comedy tents, art tents, lots of other fringe music and events that were spontanously made by other groups of people who were there, not organised. On top of that, if you had any time or felt like it, you could wander down to the main stage and see what was playing. Now it is huge, I would imagine it is moreso like that.

It was completely different to reading or donington or something like that where you went to listen to the music, or stonehenge where you went to see the hippies get stoned and the bikers get into big fights with each other.

• Like 1

I've been a few times and it's always been good, I'd go again but nowadays I'd be spening most of my time at the Firmly Rooted stage during the day and IIcon through the night...it would be great but I figured a few years ago I could save myself a few hundred ££ by going to smaller festivals/events that focus on the stuff I'm into (Glade, Boomtowm, Outlook, Carnival) rather than contributing to the fees of glastonbury headliners I don't watch.

5 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Old folks moan about music for youngsters. 

Back in my day etc etc. 

Au contraire, my main criticism concerns the booking of old lags who should've been pensioned off yonks ago; MacCartney, Diana Ross, Plant & Krauss, Noel Gallagher, Skunk Anansie, Pet Shop Boys, Crowded House..plus loads of over the hill indie type bands who've been around for years e.g. Libertines, Supergrass, Elbow, Jesus and Mary Chain (whose 80s stuff I still play), Primal Scream (who were always gash except when Andrew Weatherall produced their music), the Damned.... The acts that would interest me more are younger ones like Sam Fender and Sigrid (my personal fave).

20 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I went once. I saw Richard Thompson and Hank Wangford. I have no idea if I saw anything on a big stage.

I do know that we took cases of orange juice  grenadine and tequila to sell tequila sunrises. We didn't sell any and there was a lot of grenadine left over...

Anyone going for the kids are alright,the music's great it's just because you are getting old vibe. I'm afraid you are wrong.  Music is plopper these days woefully plopper mainly because of technology handing things to people on a plate. It stifles creativity and causes stagnation because people don't have the hunger as much. And the drugs were better and more interesting then.I know this because of my girlfriends daughters who are both in bands nicking all my 90s vinyl and basically refusing to listen to most things past this. I feel slightly smug about this.

On 14/06/2022 at 22:20, Woodinblack said:

The final time I went was in the mid 90’s. It was getting a bit too big for me to pay for by then. I would still go if a free ticket came up  … Idles and Khruangbin would be worth it. I would check out Billie Eillish and Sam Fender too. Not my taste really, but they both have something special going on. 

Like you I never really looked at the line up and spent most of my time enjoying the mad $hit going on in many of the peripheral areas and seeing bands on the smaller stages who were really into the whole experience. Really infectious energy.

Edited by tegs07