Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury Festival

SteveXFR

I generally really enjoy Glastonbury.  I've been quite a few times and have always found plenty of bands I like on the lineup. I generally avoid the pyramid stage anyway so don't really care who the big names are. 

This year though, the lineup is a big pile of bland. I thought it was just me being a miserable old bastard but everyone I've spoken to who is going or usually goes is pretty disappointed this year. For the first time ever, I'm glad I didn't get a ticket.

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up/line-up-2022/

Nope you're quite right. The line-up across the board looks generally terrible. The line-ups each day for the Pyramid, Other and West Holts stages  are the worst I've seen. I've been to Glastonbury several times over the last 30 years, and usually have been able to count on the dance/electronica line-ups. This year it's pretty flaccid stuff.  Then again electronica has gone the way of rap and rock, down the pan and around the u-bend.

• Like 1

There's enough there for me that I could have a busy time flitting between stages.

Glastonbury has changed a lot since I used to go every year in the 90s.

It's bigger, by all accounts it's safer and it's evolved from being mainly aimed at indie kids and aging hippies into something that embraces a far wider range of music past and present.

I don't necessarily think it's better or worse but it's definitely different.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cato said:

It's bigger, by all accounts it's safer and it's evolved from being mainly aimed at indie kids and aging hippies into something that embraces a far wider range of music past and present.

It's enormous now compared to the 90s. It seems to be mainly aimed at middle class pretend hippies and students. 

Maybe the festival scene is over saturated now.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

It's enormous now compared to the 90s. It seems to be mainly aimed at middle class pretend hippies and students. 

Maybe the festival scene is over saturated now.

I remember when all this were fields.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, YouMa said:

Glastonbury had its day years ago. You can create the experience yourself though by playing loud music in your garden, pitching a tent in your garden then pissing up the side of it and stealing your own shoes.

You forgot about stealing your own booze and puking in your sleeping bag. And don't forget about the £6 for a can of warm carlsberg because it's the only beer available or £8 for a warm pimms if you want to break the world record for least amount of alcohol per pound.

Since they stopped the travellers field I haven’t been, used to stay there for the weekend, usually a cheap wrist band to be had for the main event (I used to pop my head in and see what was happening) and trance/techno rigs 24/7 for the duration. 
Some wild lost weekends had with a bunch of friendly people. 

• Like 1

I think it was when Emily Eavis took over booking the bands it went wrong.

Booking Coldplay as headliners four times is ridiculous. Love or hate them, no band should headline 4 times in less than 15 years. It shows a lack of imagination. 

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I generally really enjoy Glastonbury.  I've been quite a few times and have always found plenty of bands I like on the lineup. I generally avoid the pyramid stage anyway so don't really care who the big names are. 

This year though, the lineup is a big pile of bland. I thought it was just me being a miserable old bastard but everyone I've spoken to who is going or usually goes is pretty disappointed this year. For the first time ever, I'm glad I didn't get a ticket.

I recognised exactly seven names among that lot, two of which I've actually heard play something (Paul McCartney and Richard Thompson...). One more if that was Jack's Junkyard Dogs (I think not...). Much to discover, but I shan't be attending. My loss, I'm sure, but half a century too late for me... :|

8 hours ago, RussFM said:

Phoebe Bridgers, Turnstile, Skunk Anansie, that's about all that interests me there. I'd go see Robert Plant and Paul McCartney just to say I have, but that's pretty much it. It's a very expensive festival for a very bland lineup.

I would see Skunk Anansie. Last time I saw them there they headlined the pyramid stage and were excellent. 

Lots of jobs litter-picking for locals, but I've never fancied it, be a bit like being  security at football or a gig where you face the audience!

Just had a look at the lineup, there is (with the exception of the smaller stages) someone I'd like to see at least once each day on the main stages but there's too much surrounding humanity to make it seem an enjoyable experience!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Lots of jobs litter-picking for locals, but I've never fancied it, be a bit like being  security at football or a gig where you face the audience!

Just had a look at the lineup, there is (with the exception of the smaller stages) someone I'd like to see at least once each day on the main stages but there's too much surrounding humanity to make it seem an enjoyable experience!

Lots of my friends work the festival (I'm about 15 miles away) and you get loads of time off to see bands and everyone always seems to see all the bands they really want to. You also get nicer camping facilities and showers with security and no one to take a dump in your sleeping bag. The car parking doesn't take hours to escape on Monday morning as well.

12 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Wow, that just kept on going! Is everyone getting paid? Can't see how a profit is made if they are 🤔

I suppose it depends on your taste in music but I found some of my favourite bands on that list (not necessarily the headliners on the big stages).

I've never been to Glastonbury but if somebody gave me a free ticket, I'm sure I'd have a great time there this year.