Why become a member? ×

Ding Ding. All change (again). My new line up

Old Horse Murphy

So I rightly have a reputation of being a gear whore and rather than attempt to deny it any longer I've chosen to embrace it: after selling and trading quite a bit of kit, this is what I've ended up with. 

First up a mint condition Fender USA 75th Anniversary Precision Bass with a one piece ash body finished in a gorgeous Bourbon Burst with gold hardware. I replaced the original white/cream pickguard with a black one and strung it with a set of TI flats and it's wonderful. I've been gigging this for the last five gigs and it's just brilliant. 

Next is a stunning Status Kingbass Artist that I traded my Stringray for. I've owned a S2 before but not one of these. I've just restrung it with my favourite nickelwounds and it plays beautifully. Ergonomically it's a different ballgame to my usual favoured Fender/Music Man body shape but I'm getting used to it. 

I then traded another bass for a gorgeous Stingray 5 Special in a Ghostwood finish. After selling 2 of my SR5's a while ago I realised that I really missed them and this one fits the bill nicely. 

And finally a Stentor Conservatoire fully-carved DB that I was offered for a bargain price. It's just beautiful and sounds so loud and resonant. It came with a fitted Realist which saved me a job too. I was looking for a decent upgrade to my previous DB and was contacted by a chap who had one for sale in Bristol and after arranging to try it out I fell in love. 

These join my venerable P Bass, my bitsa Fretless and my 4003S. After my Hohner Jacks sell I'll be left with 6 basses and a DB having previously been up to 10 or 11. Aside from my old P Bass which doesn't go out too much now I'm confident these will all be used and hopefully gigged regularly and between them, I think I've got most of the sounds I could ever really want covered.

AF2878AD-D650-4FA2-A7B5-45EEE1E4A50B.jpeg

A348DA58-7524-4DB7-89FF-F9E3F12BFD01.jpeg

D5B3D3E1-1A17-4AC7-984E-D908DA56DB37.jpeg

FF1524E2-B188-4276-B1B1-711C5B1565FD.jpeg

07D19F39-2614-4B9D-A747-4A766CCB9813.jpeg

78EC9E01-41CC-439C-AEA8-F78CB3CEACE1.jpeg

D008687A-2345-4AE2-B261-38E9F3A64E86.jpeg

B722306C-A7EC-48D8-95EC-D3D169162DA3.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 11

19 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Thanks. I had a 5 String Status S2 which I loved. It was one with a headstock that sadly became headless when a tree fell on my car 😢

Better the bass than you I suppose.

I had a work colleague that used to park his car in the rear of the large work car park because he didn't want door dings. He came onto shift one day and had barely swiped in when security came to the control room to inform him a huge gum tree branch had just fallen on his car and flattened it. The fire brigade attended (leaking fluids) and told me they'd have been hosing him out if he'd been in it when it fell. Pity*, he was a right prat.

The irony was that he'd parked under the only tree branch anywhere near the car park in a lot of maybe 500 spaces which was barely filled as it was a night shift starting on a bright, clear and sunny afternoon with no breeze.

I have an S2000 headless that hardly gets touched as it's a 4. Owned it maybe 20y now.

* I don't really mean that. I'm glad he wasn't hurt, but every time he annoyed me after that I shook my fist at the heavens...

Edited by crazycloud
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, crazycloud said:

Better the bass than you I suppose.

I had a work colleague that used to park his car in the rear of the large work car park because he didn't want door dings. He came onto shift one day and had barely swiped in when security came to the control room to inform him a huge gum tree branch had just fallen on his car and flattened it. The fire brigade attended (leaking fluids) and told me they'd have been hosing him out if he'd been in it when it fell. Pity*, he was a right prat.

The irony was that he'd parked under the only tree branch anywhere near the car park in a lot of maybe 500 spaces which was barely filled as it was a night shift starting on a bright, clear and sunny afternoon with no breeze.

I have an S2000 headless that hardly gets touched as it's a 4. Owned it maybe 20y now.

* I don't really mean that. I'm glad he wasn't hurt, but every time he annoyed me after that I shook my fist at the heavens...

This was the tree and car. Guess who won?!

07710916-7668-452B-8506-09668153D1A5.jpeg