Why become a member? ×

Newbie Synth Question

colleya

Hi everyone,

I'm a complete noob where effects are concerned so I'm after some advice as to how to achieve a particular sound.

I play in a 4 piece 80s cover band, bass, 1 guitar, drums & vocals. This makes covering some 80s tracks a challenge as they're pretty synth heavy.

I'm after some way to get the soft attack and delay 'swell and sustain' type sound of a synth bed underneath the guitar. I'd imagine that I'd be playing simple chords. I've watched lots of synth pedal vids on YouTube but haven't been able to find anything that does the trick.

For reference, the keys part in this cover is the sort of thing I'm after, preferably without having to remortgage the house.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

I have got a Boss GX100 multi effects pedal, there are a few Facebook groups for them and I have noticed a couple of people using them for synth stuff, might be worth looking on YouTube to see if there are any videos of them. They are incredibly flexible and can be tweaked in a ridiculously wide range of ways to get the sound you want.

• Thanks 1

ADSR curve = attack, decay, sustain, release

A unit that controls attack and release: Harley Benton noise gate NG-100. Cheap as chips, very functional.

A unit that can be programmed a lot: Panda Audio Future Impact (or simply, FI).

11 hours ago, stewblack said:

I like the Boss SY-1 very much. It has a lot of sounds to choose from and is very easy to use.

Just checked this out, it looks pretty spot on. Now to find a second hand one.

Cheers!

16 hours ago, colleya said:

Just checked this out, it looks pretty spot on. Now to find a second hand one.

Cheers!

I've just recently acquired a Boss SY-200, big brother of the SY-1, and was planning to list my SY-1 in the FS but hadn't yet got around to it. So if you (or anyone else!) is interested in taking it off my hands, please PM me. (Update: NOW SOLD)

Edited by Al Krow