Why become a member? ×

Alcochol

nilorius

A pint is my limit when gigging, primarily because I drive my own gear around, but there have been occasions where I can drink and not worry about driving. The problem I have with that is that after two pints my playing gets progressively worse.

I used to do most of my gigs ‘straight’ due to my meds regime, but once or twice I’d have a beer before a show and it would be okay. But on big gigs I’d save alcochol for afterwards. 

The few exceptions to that rule ended up being pretty messy, from what I can remember.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

If you believe alcohol improves your playing, does it also improve your driving?

They aren’t really comparable, playing in a band is a mix of many more things than driving. For example, it would be rare for a driver to be vomit inducingly nervous before driving, but isn’t that rare with band members and isn’t linked to skill levels. One of the main reasons alcohol is so bad for driving is the increase in reaction times, unless you play some really rough pubs then a super quick reaction time isn’t a prerequisite for good performance. Alcohol is relaxant/ sedative which is seriously bad when driving, but can reduce the effects of stress and anxiety such as might be found in someone playing in a band.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 15/06/2022 at 15:34, Supernaut said:

If you believe alcohol improves your playing, does it also improve your driving?

I know a guy who insists he rides a motorbike better after a beer because he's more relaxed.  Amazingly he's still alive.

7 minutes ago, Nicko said:

I know a guy who insists he rides a motorbike better after a beer because he's more relaxed.  Amazingly he's still alive.

And he’ll probably argue his point by saying that he’s still alive which proves it, I know, sadly, and to my shame I’ve been there (in my much younger years) and would have had the same attitude. 

• Like 1

I am the singer as well as the bass player and I have always found that a couple of beers loosens my voice. Any timeI have played totally sober I feel my throat tightening after a while. I have no clue if it's in my head or what but it happens every time. There is a fine line between just enough and too much right enough.

Edited by ubit
  • Like 4

There are always different people and different answers and that is good, but after driving and then gigging i don't see a very bad reason for one shot before, of something tasty, to calm down or get up. Limits are always important, though.

On 15/06/2022 at 15:34, Supernaut said:

Around 5% of all road traffic accidents in 2019 involved at least 1 driver or rider over the legal alcohol limit. 

So, statistically driving drunk must be safer, as sober drivers cause around 95% of the accidents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Around 5% of all road traffic accidents in 2019 involved at least 1 driver or rider over the legal alcohol limit. 

So, statistically driving drunk must be safer, as sober drivers cause around 95% of the accidents.

That reminds me of Jasper Carrot saying he had heard that 99% of drunk drivers crash within a mile of their homes, so when he was gypsy's kissed he drove to his mates house twenty miles away.

• Haha 1

I'm a huge (craft) beer fan, but when I'm gigging I typically don't have more than 1 beer before the gig - and since I'm the fool who bought the biggest car, I always have to drive. So usually no more than 1 beer after the gig too :lol:. All of us are good friends, and playing a gig is a night out for us too. I wouldn't be able to tell if it affects my playing. Recordings of rehearsals and gigs never sound quite as tight as it feels to us while we're playing, regardless of alcohol consumption :$. The guitars always appear to be rushing ahead of the tempo, but the drums are always on time (we usually played live with a click track) so I'm sure that was noticeable even for people who don't listen to us with a musician's ear. I wouldn't blame that on alcohol though, the rushing has always been a thing in our band :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...