Why become a member? ×

Alcochol

nilorius

Intentional or not, I appreciate the subtle misspelling in the title :)

I generally play 100% sober as we often have to drive to gigs out in the sticks. When I'm in a situation where I can have alcohol I only like to have one drink before I go on. Two doesn't work for me, feels too loose.

• Like 2

Many years ago the band I was in were filmed for a TV programme. We all had a few drinks beforehand to chill and because we played better that way anyway.

The show was never broadcast, and when I saw, but more importantly heard the tape I immediately knew why, we were appalling.

Where we thought drink loosened us up and made us play better what it did was loosen us up so all the timing and precision was lost.

Lesson learned for me, though I have to say to my shame I still played gigs drunk afterwards in both that and the next band. 

In my last band (fast forward some time from the above, and to where I no longer drink alcohol) the other guys might have one drink beforehand but we always worked on the thought that people were paying to see us so we should provide the best performance possible, playing drunk would be short changing them. 

• Like 4

I prefer to have a couple of drinks before/while playing, but everybody else prefers me not to.

Used to play with a drummer who didn't have a car, so always cadged a lift with the guitarist. Guitarist had to stop after a pint or so, whereas drummer got so relaxed he'd be slipping off his drum stool.

Playing gigs is great, drinking is great, but not at the same time.

• Like 3

Generally stone cold sober.  Sometimes a pint at the start of the second set for refreshment and that's it until it's over.

My first band was on a construction camp, we played for entertainment and it was free drinks - the audience use to get us drinks and I'd pile them up until we'd finished.  Home was a portacabin a few hundred yards away and strip down was generally the next day so the only excuse was that I don't enjoy playing drunk.

Many years ago, there was no difference between recorded performances after much booze, when compared to no booze.

These days I'm feeling it after the first pint, and more than 3 means severe hangover.

So it's a no from me. Plus I don't drink and drive.

• Like 1

These days I'm usually driving to gigs, so I might have a pint before playing but no more. If I'm not driving I may have a couple more, but certainly not getting any where near drunk (besides, there is a limit to the amount of beer you can drink before needed to keep rushing off stage to go to the loo)! 

Some people can play when they've had a few and some can't. I wasn't too bad, but my drummer mate struggled after more than a couple so would always stay completely sober! I was once completely lit up and somehow managed to get through the gig, when a bass player that I know came up to me at the end of the night to complement me on how great I had played (didn't miss a note according to him)! It did help with that band that it was a pretty simple set and that we were gigging constantly... 

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

...drummer got so relaxed he'd be slipping off his drum stool.

I remember playing with such a chap a long time ago. It was due to the way college ball gigs were organised; our jazz combo would not be the main entertainment but would have an early and late set on a small stage somewhere (e.g. in the bar). The payment would be a ticket to the event, i.e. free food and alcohol. The drummer liked to indulge considerably between sets; the audience would have been in a bad state and probably didn't notice anything was wrong, but the effects on his timing were a nuisance for me.

Nothing but alcohol-free drinks for me then, and now.

Any alcohol at all breaks my fragile grip on the groove.  I will sometimes sip a pint across a couple of sets and finish after close downb but no more than that. My subsittutes are fizzy water and salted peanuts.  

Sotally tober here... 🤪

Seriously, living in the sticks as we do, playing anywhere inevitably involves driving , so no alcohol. That said, the venues we've played so far this year (a local village hall twice and a couple of pubs) have all had an alcohol-free beer of some sort on offer, either bottled or on draught, which suits me just fine. Cheers!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

Hm, have done both but probably best to abstain for me. 

Interestingly, I met Allan Holdsworth before a gig and he was putting them away. Apparently helped him with his stage fright. 

When show time arrived he was staggeringly good...

Allan was a bit of a connoisseur when it came to beer. If he was back in the UK he liked to take full advantage of the draft beers available. It was one of the things he missed the most after moving to California.

It also probably helped that he was a true virtuoso who could play better in his sleep than most other big name guitarists could ever aspire to at their 

best.🙂

Not only do I play better after a few drinks but I am also funnier and much more charming. Certainly seems that way to me, anyway.😕

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 2

I've been in bands where the other members used our gigs as an opportunity to get slobbered. They actually played better when they were drunk (well they had a lot of practice). My playing, on the other hand, doesn't improve with alcohol, so I steer clear until after the gig.