Why become a member? ×

Squier Classic vibe 70s Jazz bass

Bassman68

Hi guys

So I’m getting GAS for Maple board,Block in-lays & dare I say it….Sunburst finish!
I don’t want to spend a fortune on a Fender, but I see mixed reviews on the weight of these basses.

Can anyone give me an honest opinion on these Squires or suggest alternatives? Budget up to £500

I realise that’s getting up to S/H Mexican player prices as well as Sire V7’s but would I be better off just up-grading hardware on the Squier?

Thanks in advance

I’ve had two of the VM77s and I’d say they are fantastic basses, really feel good to play and sound it too. Not too heavy either. I changed the pickups on one to Fender 74s and that was a nice improvement but other than changing the bridge baseplate to one with grooves in I left the rest stock, no real need to make any changes.

• Like 1

I was in the exact place as you about 2 years ago. I went to Andertons and tried a Squier, Sire and G&L and ended up with the G&L. I really like the feel of the neck, the bridges are great and I preferred the sound.

I did end up putting in a pair of the Fender 74 J pups in and a ki0gon loom. It sounded good before, but it sounds amazing now!

The Sire sounded good too. The preamp in them is great and can give you a really wide range if tones, but the G&L just edged it for me.