Why become a member? ×

Strings for short scale

Japhet

Hi, I've just recently bought a G&L Fallout Tribute bass as Guitar Guitar were selling them at a price that a fool like me couldn't resist.

After initially thinking this is novel but have I made a mistake,  I took the D'addarios that are stock off and I've replaced them with standard long scale Legacy 45-105 (Legacy are an OEM brand James How / Rotosound make, you probably know) in nickel. I've left more windings on the tuners than I normally would as the Tribute models have tuners I'm not crazy about; they sit high on the headstock face compared to the tuners on my USA G&L 5 string, I suppose I've helped the break angle at the nut.

Anyway, the bass feels much better to me now, I'm well aware I've gone off piste from the usual small bass/ thin strings approach but things feel much more resonant and positive.

Nothing against D'addario strings as I know they are good and well liked, there's something in the mids about them that doesn't suit me, I prefer cheaper nickels like Legacy and some of the Fenders (OEM from D'addario!) but change them every couple of months.

It's turning into a great little bass, hopefully I'll gig it over the next 3 weekends.

Edited by The fasting showman
Layout
  • Thanks 1

I put D'Addario EXL160S medium nickel rounds on my Talman 30 and thought it felt and sounded loads better for it. It had previously got D'Addario ECB81S regular-light chromes on it, which were alright for tension but just a bit uninspiring in the sound department. I installed a set of Seymour Duncan quarter-pounders too, which helped it to sound even more assertive when the heavier rounds went on. It's basically got the picking/plucking-hand feel and overall sound of a standard scale P/J but the novelty and/or utility of being a 30".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Newtone.

The first time I fitted a set of Newtone strings to my short-scale Burns Sonic Bass it was a complete revelation. For the first time I was able to get a proper sounding note out of the E string, before that I had avoided using it because it sounded rubbish. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ed_S said:

I put D'Addario EXL160S medium nickel rounds on my Talman 30 and thought it felt and sounded loads better for it. It had previously got D'Addario ECB81S regular-light chromes on it, which were alright for tension but just a bit uninspiring in the sound department. I installed a set of Seymour Duncan quarter-pounders too, which helped it to sound even more assertive when the heavier rounds went on. It's basically got the picking/plucking-hand feel and overall sound of a standard scale P/J but the novelty and/or utility of being a 30".

Also put the D'Addario XL Nickel Wounds in Medium gauge (50-105) on my short scale Squier VM Jaguar. Look out for the packet with 'EXL160S', orange circle and blue strip along top. 

Most said of this bass that going to a heavier gauge than stock (40-95)  improved the string tension and took any floppiness out of especially the E string. Seemed a lot better in this regard after the change for me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dmc79 said:

Also put the D'Addario XL Nickel Wounds in Medium gauge (50-105) on my short scale Squier VM Jaguar. Look out for the packet with 'EXL160S', orange circle and blue strip along top. 

Most said of this bass that going to a heavier gauge than stock (40-95)  improved the string tension and took any floppiness out of especially the E string. Seemed a lot better in this regard after the change for me. 

I've pulled the trigger on a set of them (EXL160S). Sounds like they'll hopefully do the trick.

• Like 2

On 14/06/2022 at 16:15, BigRedX said:

Newtone.

The first time I fitted a set of Newtone strings to my short-scale Burns Sonic Bass it was a complete revelation. For the first time I was able to get a proper sounding note out of the E string, before that I had avoided using it because it sounded rubbish. 

This. 100%