Why become a member? ×

new gear straight to a gig

NHM

I picked up a cab, an ebay purchase, at 2pm yesterday and drove straight to a gig, loaded in at 3.45, soundcheck at 4.30 and started the first set at 5.

And the new cab sounded great!

I'm sure others could beat a three hour 'purchase to gig' turn-round, but I was pretty chuffed by my experience.

• Like 3

I bought a Line 6 Helix... It arrived on the Wednesday afternoon late. I quickly learned how to programme it, hooked it up to my PC to upgrade to the latest firmware, downloaded some possible patches, edited those patches to give 6 immediately useable ones including bass wah and pitch shift, then first thing Thursday morning bunged it in the car to use at Morecambe Nice'n'Sleazy fest that night. And it all worked!

I swapped a Jazz bass for a Precision with someone about nine years ago, drove home, had a bite to eat, then loaded amp and cab into the car and drove to a gig. Played the Precision there for the first time, and it is still my number one bass.

• Like 1

I had a new amplifier delivered to my house my someone from the local (Oxford) PMT and it went straight into the car and off to a gig, turnaround between delivery and gig starting was under and hour. Fortunately, I had already packed the car and my older amp was still in the back as the new one only lasted a couple of verses of the first song before giving up. 

I once bought a guitar-sized Mono gigbag for one of my headless basses on my way to a gig so I could retire the unnecessarily large (full-sized) Hiscox case that came with it. Does that count? :lol:

Edited by LeftyJ

I don't mind making a detour for a good sale. I picked up my Thunderfunk in Cambridge on the way to a gig in Norfolk, picked up my BB2 in Essex on the way to Billericay and picked up  my Lull on the way to a gig in Kent. Used them all on the gig.

I always have my regular gear with me. So far there have never been any issues.

I buy gear to gig, so why not use it at the earliest opportunity.

• Thanks 1

Received ABM EVO 500 amp and 2 x mini 4 x 8 cabs late on a Saturday afternoon, loaded into pub at 8.00pm, first song 10.00pm.

Went great. Half deaf by 1.30am (very narrow stage) :thank_you:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Bought a fretless bass (from a Basschatter) in a supermarket carpark enroute to a gig and played it at the gig.

Good job it worked 🤣

Similar. I bought an SWR triad from a basschatter in a petrol station forecourt in way to a gig. 45mins later it was on stage at soundcheck.

Good job it was ok as I didn't take another cab with me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I think this would give me an anxiety attack!

I like to get comfortable with any new kit before gigging it. Ideally a proper rehearsal!

Me too, I wouldn't dream of buying something and going straight into a gig with it. I would have to spend ages at home working out how to get the best out of the amp or bass.

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I like to get comfortable with any new kit before gigging it. Ideally a proper rehearsal!

8 minutes ago, ubit said:

Me too, I wouldn't dream of buying something and going straight into a gig with it. I would have to spend ages at home working out how to get the best out of the amp or bass.

How hard can it be? You guys need more confidence in your ability to get your sound. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stewblack said:

Bought a fretless bass (from a Basschatter) in a supermarket carpark enroute to a gig and played it at the gig.

Good job it worked 🤣

I bought a MiM P bass on the way to the gig, which was one street over from where I bought it. Worked fine 

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

How hard can it be? You guys need more confidence in your ability to get your sound. 

I need more confidence in a bit of used gear that I bought cash in hand behind a petrol station to work flawlessly on a paid gig.

Y'all make me nervous. 😁

• Like 1

Gibson Thunderbird purchased from Andertons at approximately 12 oclock. Straight back on the train to London to get to soundcheck in Covent Garden for 5pm, gig that night! Still had the sold stickers on the case haha! 

pro tip DON'T TAKE A THUNDERBIRD IN HARD CASE UP THE STAIRS! 

2 hours ago, Jack said:

I need more confidence in a bit of used gear that I bought cash in hand behind a petrol station to work flawlessly on a paid gig.

Y'all make me nervous. 😁

Always take your full rig. The guy might not show up!!

But throwing the new piece of kit straight into battle is a no brainer for me.

15 hours ago, chris_b said:

perhaps it’s because I like everything to be spot on. Straight out the box would make me feel that I hadn’t explored everything about the amp or guitar. 

Posted 21 hours ago

On 13/06/2022 at 11:18, fretmeister said:

In my defence, I'd sold my TE combo earlier in the week, so had no choice (and no other rig !)