Why become a member? ×

OLP MM22 - Stingray on a budget PRICEDROP £249 - *SOLD*
£285
Bournemouth

Mickeyboro

NOW SOLD

Before the introduction of the Sterling by Musicman range, OLP (Officially Licensed Product) briefly produced the MM22 bass - effectively an active budget Stingray with two humbuckers. Many OLPs have been modified to be active – this one was designed and built that way in the early 2000s.

The MM22 was made in Korea, unlike its brand predecessors, and was good enough for Sterling Ball to reportedly say: ‘OLP quality was all over the board much to my disapointment… why do you think I cancelled the deal? The irony is that the last batch were made in Korea at a higher price point due to the Sub leaving the markiet and they were truly great... too good, but too late.’ 

My pristine example is finished in a metallic flecked grey/gold – very hard to describe but very attractive on stage. Also unlike earlier OLPs, it has a three-band EQ and five-position switching, which opens up many possibilities. On a physical level, having a second humbucker also lets habitual Fender players like me anchor their thumb, something I could never do on the three Stingrays I have previously owned.

Switching options:
1. Bridge humbucker
2. Inner coils (both)
3. Both pickups
4. Outer coils (both)
5. Neck humbucker

So the tonal options range from the bridge pickup’s anticipated Stingray tone through a hollow Gibson EB type sound through Bongo to Jazz (great for slap) and finally a P-like thump at the neck. If that’s not versatile...

Hardware-wise, the metalwork is certainly as good as MIM Fender. The MM22 has a basswood body but also has contours, as per the ‘real thing’. But the real star of the show is the fast and very playable neck, 42mm at the nut. It has an attractive flame in it but is also lacquered – I never liked the painted US Sub neck nor did I get on with the oiled EBMM necks, so this scored with me.

To cut a long story short, if you buy this you get a Stingray-esque bass for considerably less than Squier money. Its been cleaned, set up and re-strung with d’Addarios, ready to rock or funk as appropriate. 

Here’s a video demontrating a similar example, plus photos of the actual bass. Thanks for reading!

STOP PRESS: PRICE REDUCTION TO £249

A0567004-106A-40D4-86FD-F7DC9844D785.jpeg

D02397F8-0144-4119-A611-3C4AAABAFE64.jpeg

2CD72ABE-4937-4539-8E3D-BDD9F4B3E3E2.jpeg

6E1101DE-A663-4BE8-955D-6ADE28F849D9.jpeg

215D876C-3559-4DFF-A89B-7B40728B4B5C.jpeg

F211B0ED-D27A-4F65-80FB-36D6B4F75CED.jpeg

0CCAECC5-FBFC-4085-885C-05CFC7D4BA1E.jpeg

Edited by Mickeyboro
Spelling!
  • Like 13

• Mickeyboro changed the title to OLP MM22 - SOLD