Why become a member? ×

Everything You Need To Survive Your First Blues Jam Night

greghagger

You can have great fun playing bass at Blues jams. There's something really liberating about stepping onstage with a bunch of musicians that you don't know and playing a tune totally off the cuff.

Now the thought of doing this may fill you with dread, you might not think that you're good enough to get up to jam or you might not know how the whole scene works or even how to get yourself on the list to play.

I've put a video lesson and article together to help anyone who has aspirations to get up and play at a Blues jam. I'm sure that the lesson will give you the confidence to go for it and head down to play at your local jam.

In the video I discuss common Blues jam tunes, I talk about learning Blues song structures and importantly give you some of my personal experience concerning jam night etiquette.

I hope this helps and I’d love to hear any of your jam night stories or if you would like to play at jam and the lesson helped you. 

All the info you need is on the webpage. 

https://www.gbshed.com/how-to-survive-a-blues-jam-for-bass-players

• 1 year later...
On 11/06/2022 at 16:11, greghagger said:

You can have great fun playing bass at Blues jams. There's something really liberating about stepping onstage with a bunch of musicians that you don't know and playing a tune totally off the cuff.

Now the thought of doing this may fill you with dread, you might not think that you're good enough to get up to jam or you might not know how the whole scene works or even how to get yourself on the list to play.

I've put a video lesson and article together to help anyone who has aspirations to get up and play at a Blues jam. I'm sure that the lesson will give you the confidence to go for it and head down to play at your local jam.

In the video I discuss common Blues jam tunes, I talk about learning Blues song structures and importantly give you some of my personal experience concerning jam night etiquette.

I hope this helps and I’d love to hear any of your jam night stories or if you would like to play at jam and the lesson helped you. 

All the info you need is on the webpage. 

https://www.gbshed.com/how-to-survive-a-blues-jam-for-bass-players

Greg many thanks for this!

I just found this today and it is exactly what I was looking for - really helpful.

I’m still a novice but my dream is to be competent enough one day to play at a blues jam 👍 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ian Somerville said:

I just found this today and it is exactly what I was looking for - really helpful.

I’m still a novice but my dream is to be competent enough one day to play at a blues jam 👍 

You’re only in Leicester, how mobile are you ? I go to a few around Coalville, Groby, Ashby 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

You’re only in Leicester, how mobile are you ? I go to a few around Coalville, Groby, Ashby 

Thanks Geek99 👍 

I’ve actually recently moved to Ilkley in Yorkshire although I am still down in Leicester for work once or twice a month this year.

I went by your profile. Piece of advice, start with a jam session (see below) and just observe first time. I talked to the drummer at my local one and he gave me their basic set list to pick from. Take your bass and commonly people will strike up conversation. Be honest about your abilities and they’ll support you

I’d avoid open mic nights to start with as a) bass is not generally a solo instrument and the guitarists who run them don’t get that and b) you need to spend time at each to find someone who wants to collaborate with a bass player. Since they are usually acoustic types, turning up with an electric instrument generally indicates a lynching is imminent.
I got very lucky with a young lady who organises my local OM as all sorts come to her nights and she’s good at matching people up and supporting them but that’s not normal 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I went by your profile. Piece of advice, start with a jam session (see below) and just observe first time. I talked to the drummer at my local one and he gave me their basic set list to pick from. Take your bass and commonly people will strike up conversation. Be honest about your abilities and they’ll support you

I’d avoid open mic nights to start with as a) bass is not generally a solo instrument and the guitarists who run them don’t get that and b) you need to spend time at each to find someone who wants to collaborate with a bass player. Since they are usually acoustic types, turning up with an electric instrument generally indicates a lynching is imminent.
I got very lucky with a young lady who organises my local OM as all sorts come to her nights and she’s good at matching people up and supporting them but that’s not normal 

Hi Geek99 I’d forgotten about that - just changed my profile.

and thanks for the tips, much appreciated 👍 

4 hours ago, Ian Somerville said:

Really great to hear that this is useful to you. I’m sure you’ll get yourself to a position a you get up and play at jam. Then a lot of it is just taking the plunge and going for it! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Great advice! 

• Thanks 1