Why become a member? ×

Winter and summer.

nilorius

For bass, not so much. But I did some recording sessions last month and the temperature was 32 degrees C in the room I was in and the guitars and drums needed retuning a few times.

Not usually a problem during winter but the winters here are mild and instruments don’t seem to mind.

1 hour ago, nilorius said:

Does winter or summer affects any way Your bass tone, Your playing teqnique......anything?

In winter fur lined leather gloves create havoc with my technique, but apart from that, no. 

• Like 1

Around November I climb inside my nice cosy bass cab and hibernate until March........😔

I think the only difference is having to brush up on the poxy jolly Christmas songs for the set in winter. ☃️   In Wales of course it just means the rain is a tad colder.

I don't adjust the truss rod seasonally, in fact seldom adjust them on any of my instruments.

There is one effect. I recently started going to a monthly 'folk session' at a local pub where each person takes turn to lead a song.

In summer it's outside, winter inside. When it's outside the acoustics aren't so good......... difficult to hear quiet elements of people's playing, can't hear some vocals very well if the person is not near you.

So I tend to choose loud songs in the summer (heavy strumming and projected vocals) and save the subtler songs (yes I have got some!) for the indoor sessions.

31 minutes ago, NoRhino said:

I play most of my gigs in Scotland.  The temperature varies from hour to hour.  T shirt one minute, fur lined jacket the next.

Fixed that for you.

At least it’s what it’s like here.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nilorius said:

Seems like no one really cares the weather, but my basses cares, when i ventilise the room at winter or summer, some neck adjustments should be made.

Yes, but you don't live in the UK where there aren't really any extremes of temperature and humidity between the seasons. I have only had to adjust the truss rod of any of my basses on two occasions. Once when I changed the very high tension flat-wound strings that had been fitted to it originally for some more sensible round wounds; and once when I imported a bass that had previously been in Florida to the UK.

• Like 1