Why become a member? ×

Finger repair advice

Yan_Huriey

Hi guys, I sometimes get this issue where I get a split in my skin, it starts at the fingernail then works its way up the finger.  I need advice on what to put on it to patch it and allow me to continue playing, I heard superglue, but looking for options as it can be painful.

I work in heavy industry, I use gloves, clean my hands and moisurise regularily, still my hands have a hard life, thats just how it is.

16549524931114919052867072986022.jpg

I often suffer with a paronychia finger nail, after that kind of 'hang nail' bit of skin...

Dab of TCP, Detol or Isoprop to make sure its clean, then O'keefees Working Hand Cream... quite pricy, but good stuff and you only need a small dab.

Edited by PaulThePlug

O' Keeffe's for maintenance - use it regularly during the day and use it even when your hands are fine.  You can repair cracks and splits with superglue after cleaning them with antiseptic and drying thoroughly.  It was developed as a wound closure adhesive and works really well. 

• Like 1

On 11/06/2022 at 14:02, Yan_Huriey said:

Hi guys, I sometimes get this issue where I get a split in my skin, it starts at the fingernail then works its way up the finger.  I need advice on what to put on it to patch it and allow me to continue playing, I heard superglue, but looking for options as it can be painful.

I work in heavy industry, I use gloves, clean my hands and moisurise regularily, still my hands have a hard life, thats just how it is.

I used to get those every winter, very painful. When I took up the bass the problem mostly went, split never worked past the hard calluses on 6 of my fingers! Though my hands have an much easier life punching a computer keyboard. I found Lotil (from boots) to help (mostlly to reduce pain) but did not apply too frequently as it softened calluses.

On 12/06/2022 at 17:28, Islander said:

You can repair cracks and splits with superglue after cleaning them with antiseptic and drying thoroughly.  It was developed as a wound closure adhesive and works really well. 

Yes. I get through quite a lot of superglue..!