Why become a member? ×

Bassmutes, which one are you using

Reggaebass

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Is it kinda wedge shaped 

Yes, sort of radiuses with a strong falloff towards the treble side. My G is always super low anyway so it took some trial and error, and doesn't look very tidy but it works well! 

• Thanks 1

On 12/06/2022 at 01:24, drTStingray said:

I use these when available - these are based on when Leo and co finally got it right on mutes!!

That would be 1966, on the Mustang Bass :lol:

On the first Jazz Basses of 1960-1962 was a predecessor of that system, but not yet adjustable: they just bend into place - and I suppose you could twist them away when you don't want to use them but that wasn't easy when you kept that huge bridge cover in place :lol:

ieum4os0ml0gtl1aqhv3.jpg

1966 saw the introduction of this system on the Mustang Bass, which is adjustable with the set screws and works well:

154057950012-_MG_2920.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LeftyJ said:

That would be 1966, on the Mustang Bass :lol:

On the first Jazz Basses of 1960-1962 was a predecessor of that system, but not yet adjustable: they just bend into place - and I suppose you could twist them away when you don't want to use them but that wasn't easy when you kept that huge bridge cover in place :lol:

ieum4os0ml0gtl1aqhv3.jpg

1966 saw the introduction of this system on the Mustang Bass, which is adjustable with the set screws and works well:

154057950012-_MG_2920.JPG

Yeah I was aware the Mustang had a similar design to the 1976 Musicman version - however I wasn’t sure whether the Mustang was under CBS and Leo had already gone - in which case it was reprised on the Stingray. Cue lots of debate……. you also need a screwdriver to activate them on a Mustang (thumb screw for easy application on a Stingray). I’ve even activated them between songs, live it’s that easy!! 

Whatever the answer, it’s a great system as you can vary the pressure of each individual mute - they sound great recorded on a Stingray - very very thumpy!! 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 3

I find the number of variables in mutes so frustrating! I've settled on NordyMutes & rather than fit it 'perpendicular' I angle the foam so it travels along the strings, pointing towards the nut. Also, sitting deeper on lower strings & barely touching on the higher. No mods needed, removable, reasonably easy to recreate, and about the best I've found for a not-overkill & consistent muting across the strings without too negative an impact on intonation.

I can recommend experimenting with the "Danny Mo Morris" 2nd+3rd+4th fingers on fretting hand technique, and just a simple "immediately release the pressure to stop notes sustaining"... though it takes far more patience and practice to master than I have 😢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Saul Panzer said:

This is also my go-to when I rarely use a mute, 6 for £1 at my local tesco last time I brought some. I just cut it at the curved indentation bit and use the scouring part for the dishes.

6 for £1 - you were robbed 

try b and m or home bargains 

54 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

6 for £1 - you were robbed 

try b and m or home bargains 

I'm out in the countryside, it's a 40 minute drive to my nearest B&M...that's another £10 for a bus or petrol costs these days.
Anyway shop local and all that, gotta keep what few local stores I do have open.

• Like 1

On 11/06/2022 at 13:35, Reggaebass said:

I’m always messing around with various mutes, i like the sound and it suits some of tracks I play, I usually just put foam under the bridge which is ok but it can put the intonation out a touch so I’ve been making a few of my own, I had trouble keeping the slots square ,but I found my grandads old little square and with some masking tape it’s worked a treat.

which ones are you using 

8DC6E856-F60C-48D8-8670-C8D64DA64252.jpeg

Well, having seen these I now want to make some! But I have a fret wrap coming from Thomann some time next week if that counts.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, thewebow said:

Are those Hurley bridges available to buy after market? Interested to know how to get hold of one. I only play Used USA player series so don’t feel guilty about putting holes in one! 

It's separate from the bridge, it's this one from Allparts:

https://www.allparts.uk.com/products/genuine-fender-62-jaguar-mute-assembly-kit?_pos=317&_sid=e21f7b17d&_ss=r

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is a Picture of my foam mute that has now gone back in my CS 62 P I had this cut months ago from some of that old grey foam and used it smooth side up but after our conversations about allowing the G string to sing a little more i put it in bobble side up this has allowed key strings to run between the valleys in the foam and sounds just right. Gigged it like this last Saturday and was great, so it stays 👍

IMG_6022.JPG

Edited by deepbass5
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I wonder if these would do a good job. It's a pretty dense foam and you get a few out of a single eraser so you can have a few tries with different slot depth/widths etc. They come in all colours, including black.

s34-8000p01wl.jpg

Thanks mcnach, they look like they would work well, I still just push a bit of foam under the strings sometimes but it’s really good fun just trying these different things 

• Like 1

I think you may find that it is too dense, and wont let the strings vibrate enough, the softer open pore wash bowl sponge is nearer the texture required. But down to taste in the end and will also depend on fingers or Pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deepbass5 said:

I think you may find that it is too dense, and wont let the strings vibrate enough, the softer open pore wash bowl sponge is nearer the texture required. But down to taste in the end and will also depend on fingers or Pick.

If you just make a cut for the strings yes, but the idea I got from seeing others is to cut a slot for each string with a different width, or maybe V-shaped so that you can find the amount of muting desired (that's the idea, how much trial and error it will take, I don't know... but I'll let you know as I just bought on of those to try.

• Like 1

those minky wipes have some chemical coating in/on them I think, if you get them wet they dry stiffer and don't return to original state i.e. they change properties just from contact with water. It could just be release agent from manufacture.

I tried them a while ago and wouldn't recommend

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

those minky wipes have some chemical coating in/on them I think, if you get them wet they dry stiffer and don't return to original state i.e. they change properties just from contact with water. It could just be release agent from manufacture.

I tried them a while ago and wouldn't recommend

To be fair I have not used them yet. 

Did they react with your varnish or did you just not like the dampening properties?

it was the becoming less flexible I didn't like, I didn't use it enough to damage the finish - I dropped it on a floor which was dusty so I washed it, left it to dry and found it had curled slightly, shrunk slightly and become less flexible. I tried it after watching a video where Scott SBL was chatting about muting materials and he 'raided' the cupboard under the kitchen sink  to show what one could use that you had lying around