Why become a member? ×

New Lakland is a Wonky Donkey!

Horizontalste

Neck dots... what is 'out' dots on the fretboard or string/bridge alignment?

The Thru the Dot A string looks to change along the fretboard

It looks like the misaligned one, the outside of the strings have the same gap to the fretboard edge...

On the aligned one less gap on the B, looks like center of string to the fretboard edge is the 'measure'

String spacing, particularly at nut? Is it string center or between string edges?

Whats your take?

Sometimes a slight misalignment can be remedied by.taking the neck off and screwing it back on again in a truer position. I'm not saying it will necessarily work in this case, but it's easy enough to try.

I've got a made in Indonesia Skyline 44-02 Deluxe fretless and it's a fantastic bass. No dots on the fingerboard, so I really couldn't comment on that. I really cannot fault it as  for anything else, though.

As for the routing on the pickup and the headstock, that would annoy me more than the misalignment because it is much harder to fix.

If you still fancy a new Lakland  then what you need to establish is whether this is a rogue bass or are all the Skylines like this nowadays. I would contact Lakland and see what they say about it.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

You could possibly take the neck off, but it depends on how much wiggle room there is in the neck pocket to re-align the neck......i have to say, i have seen this problem a few times, also on the usa ones...Also seems the basses are very heavy of late!!.......I think Lakland and Cort should pull their socks up. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Neck dots... what is 'out' dots on the fretboard or string/bridge alignment?

The Thru the Dot A string looks to change along the fretboard

It looks like the misaligned one, the outside of the strings have the same gap to the fretboard edge...

On the aligned one less gap on the B, looks like center of string to the fretboard edge is the 'measure'

String spacing, particularly at nut? Is it string center or between string edges?

Whats your take?

I've had an engineer's rule over both & it appears the dots are central & the nut measurements on both instruments are the same.

The neck pocket is actually really good with no wiggle room at all so I'm really not sure if the neck pocket is cut at the wrong degree or the bridge is on the pesh.

Either way it's gone back now!

• Like 2

^As mentioned in other posts... if ya haven't purchased a 'That Will Do' or a 'Factory Second' and at a bargain price... back they should go... otherwise it will only 'Nag'
And more is the point, the manufacturer will never know... Now if an offer of an option is to keep it following re-numeration, that only you can decide.
Possibly a slacken of the mounting screws and a wiggle may surfice - but again the choice es yours... and possibly action to be done by the shop in your presence...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

I have just contacted Lakland directly just as a "let you know" because I'm guessing the big shop won't.

I really hope that they are unaware of these issues & this isn't a "that'll do" kinda business model they're running these days.

I'll report back but a quick image search of the Goog indicates there's a lot of Wonky Skylines out there.

Edited by Horizontalste
Crap grammar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Horizontalste said:

I have just contacted Lakland directly just as a "let you know" because I'm guessing the big shop won't.

I really hope that they are unaware of these issues & this isn't a "that'll do" kinda business model they're running these days.

I'll report back but a quick image search of the Goog indicates there's a lot of Wonky Skylines out there.

Yeah this is what I was gonna suggest you do. Will be interesting to see their response.

Si

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ebenezer said:

Just for info my sadowsky mv5 metroline had the same issue to a small degree ....(A) string off to the right side of the dots....neck joint was tight as a drum so I just lived with it.

I thought about living with it but then the OCD kicked in 🤣

• Haha 1