Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Supertwin

drlargepants

Same for me, and happened on this by accident. As above at a sound check got a great onstage sound, went out front and was confronted by the boomy mush, so adjusted eq with bass down/mids up, sounded pretty rotten onstage, sounded excellent out front. This was in a covers band where backline covered the whole venue, so no FOH.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Put on a CD at a good volume (EQ is very volume dependent) and play along.

Tweak each control at a time and see what it does. Even better if you can have someone else tweak while you play so you get instant signal changes.

What it does in the mix is far more important than how it sounds alone. Often they are very different.

This process will help you learn what each does on your amp. All amps are a little different. On some the Bass knob could be 40hz or 60hz ish. On others it might be as high as 80Hz.

So they are all different, so always ignore the knob positions and trust your ears.

Have a look on youtube for Isolated Bass Tracks. These are the actual bass tracks from famous recordings. Listen to the full recording and then the bass part alone. You'll usually find that when heard alone the bass part is far dirtier than expected and may have a bit of a nasal quality to the sound where a lot of highs and super lows have been reduced.

Sounds horrible on it's own, but brilliant in the mix.

Ultimately though it's just somewhere from 3-5 knobs on most amps. Have a good tweak so you learn to hear what they do.

thank you, that’s really helpful !

• Like 1

On 16/06/2022 at 09:35, drlargepants said:

totally flat and mess about with tone control on bass and contour knob on amp. 

Totally flat is a good starting point. 
If the contour is scooping the mids, I’d turn it completely off, however you do that.  I have similar with my LM3, and just turn off all the amp filters which do similar things.