Why become a member? ×

Headless Rick-Shaped Thing Disaster

Bassassin

After some delays, and stuff getting in the way, it would seem that I have taken something functional but ugly, and repurposed it into something weird and functionless.

An improvement? Who am I to judge?

78147939_WeirdFunctionless2.thumb.jpg.f08e6d80a4f40924c62dacb730ebfeb6.jpg

Anyway - next, a little bit of fret dressing, then slapping on some Danish Oil. Wonder if I can get the cloth to spontaneously combust this time?

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

That's what's known in certain circles as a transformation :)

Great job 

Getting there - but I'm having to live with the realisation it's always going to look better from the back!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

Getting there - but I'm having to live with the realisation it's always going to look better from the back!

I once had a girlfriend like that 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

What does the front look like? Surely it can't be too bad?

Still a lot like this, only with the headstock lopped off!

ProofOfConcept2.thumb.jpg.71e917930e49c4d1bd678bdc3dcc7fce.jpg

If all goes well there will be a few details to make it more eye-catching - but that's pretty much it.

• 1 month later...

A month since my last update, and progress has been, let's say - incremental.

After applying a couple more coats, the plan was to give it a week or so to let the layers of Danish Oil harden off, after which a final (or so I thought!) light sand to smooth it, before one last thin coat of oil, which should have resulted in the expected lustrous, satiny sheen I've achieved from this process before.

The hardening phase was rudely extended by (having successfully dodged it for 2 & a half years), me finally being afflicted with The 'Rona, which was thoroughly horrid. So that basically added another week, and once I'd recovered sufficiently to be able to perform basic manual tasks (whilst still being a brain-fogged snot factory), it got a gentle and thorough wire-wooling, then that last coat of oil.

To my surprise (and mild dismay, considering how long this was taking) the finish on the body wings set to a very varnish-y looking bright gloss, quite different to the expected satin finish on the neck & centre sections. The oil itself was also slightly gummy to the touch, not cured properly hard.

However, after various pissings-around & experimenting, I found that, quite counter-intuitively, T-Cutting the shiny bits seemed to remove the top layer & restore the expected satin finish, and also seemed to encourage the stuff to harden off properly. So after a lot of buffing, coughing, sneezing and sniffing, this is where we are:

1766772738_wesleyfinishedfinish.thumb.jpg.74743e4d605407e7827da6fecde2aee5.jpg

And I think that's a finished finish, apart from removing some little bits of Danish Oil residue from the top & fretboard edges. Then just a couple of little aesthetic jobs to do, and I should be able to start welding & nailing all the bits back on.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

That do be nice.  Are you doing the same to the front of the body?

The front's properly lacquered - thick, gloss poly over a flamed veneer. Decided to leave it, but seeing how nice the back's ended up looking, I'm not sure that was the right choice. I doubt I could have removed the poly without destroying the veneer though.

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Sorry Jon, but I'm still struggling to get past the ... erm ... well, it's where a headstock would normally be. 😂

For (originally) a £99 bass the rest of it looks seriously fit for purpose, mind.

Can't please everyone! In fairness it's a necessary compromise (IMO, anyway) because the sticky-outy tuners mean I won't be able to park the bass in a corner or on a rack/stand, so it's gonna have to hang by the neck. Possibly until dead. If not for that, the headstump would've been a lot more minimal & just big enough to accomodate the string retainer block.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/09/2022 at 18:31, Bassassin said:

Can't please everyone! In fairness it's a necessary compromise (IMO, anyway) because the sticky-outy tuners mean I won't be able to park the bass in a corner or on a rack/stand, so it's gonna have to hang by the neck. Possibly until dead. If not for that, the headstump would've been a lot more minimal & just big enough to accomodate the string retainer block.

One of my headlesses sits on a stand as the tuners protrude past the body. It's one of this type, though it has a solid pivoting safety thing rather than a big rubber band:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.0a88288c9095e3a697c44a038d553f1f.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well - I think I mentioned that I have a predisposition for getting bored and wandering off, or (more specifically) succumbing to my innate tendency for existential ennui and spiraling into the depthless, howling abyss of my own internal hellscape. Or something.

Well - whatever it was, it happened, quite predictably and my Stupid Headless Bass Project got ignored for the better part of a month.

However!

Having eventually succeeded in prising my head from between my own gargantuan, corpulent and quivering buttocks, I cracked the f*ck on and levelled & dressed the frets, tidied up a few scratchy fret ends, foil-lined the cavities, bunged all the wires & pots back inside and then glued the lot back together.

Before:

wes01.thumb.jpg.55ed69dccb772a8f6e869a4a11431031.jpg

And after:

Whatthefuckenbacker02.thumb.JPG.35d39bca7e6c62f9f56ce01465c0be32.JPG

I bet some of you contrarians won't think that's an improvement. :P

Anyway, in detail:

The shoddy budget tuners! The cheap Chinese knobs!

Whatthefuckenbacker09.thumb.JPG.4ce5020632adf6e530e9f108a70a6cd2.JPG

The stupid, wonky headflap! The Really Very Convincing inlay stickers!

Whatthefuckenbacker06.thumb.JPG.b2a307bf5f4fc387b838aa4467f169b9.JPG

The much more aesthetically pleasing back view!

Whatthefuckenbacker013.thumb.JPG.7236b8ad899c503e3731dcff51421ae7.JPG

And that (apart from minor details like a proper setup & plugging it in to see if it actually works), is a wrap. Over to you...

Edited by Bassassin
There's always room for improvement, right?
  • Like 7

That's great, that is.

The tuners are a wee bit sticky-outy (technical term) but I would seriously rock the snot out of that bad boy. The "inlays" look ace too. Even the rather idiosyncratic pseudo-headstock looks very cool, in situ.

Have a cup of tea and a biscuit. That's a job well done sir.

Edited by rushbo
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bassassin said:

gargantuan, corpulent and quivering buttocks

Not something I was expecting to read in a Build Diary but I do like what you've done with the bass.

Probably best not to post this:

ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithout.gif

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 1