Why become a member? ×

Spector 35" scale

mario_buoninfante

Hi all,

I have been looking at some Spector 5 strings basses recently, and I noticed that almost all of them are 35" scale (Euro Classic being the only exception among those currently in production, I think).
I couldn't find any more info about it, but was curious to understand how that would affect playability.
From what I can gather, mainly from looking at pictures online, it seems like they have pushed the bridge a little bit back towards the edge of the body and so as a result, one doesn't get the lowest end of the neck pushed further far away.
Thus, since I saw that there are few Spector enthusiasts and owners here, I thought I'd ask the question and see if anybody can confirm, or not, my assumption.

Thanks in advance

Edited by mario_buoninfante
added a bit more info
  • Like 1

As I understand 35" scale, there are pros and cons. The pros are in the tone and breadth of the B string. The cons are the other strings lose some of their resonance from being slightly too long. I have the US build XL5 and you don't really notice because the HAZ circuit gives such an even tone. But you can hear the difference next to a decent fender. Not sure about bridge position thing as the body on a Spector is pretty small compared to many. Have you tried one? The necks don't feel short or set deep into the body but are still comfortable.

• Like 1

Never tried one, neither Spector nor other brands. I had an entry level 34" scale 5 strings Cort when I was 18y, but I can't really remember much about it as it was several years ago :) and I moved back to a 4 strings quite quick (for no particular reasons tbh).
Reading articles and watching videos online, I now (at least partially) get what is the impact the scale has on the sound - ie short scale ones sound "boomy" but less defined, long scale basses have more definition, but I assume reduced low frequencies contribution too.
I was particularly curious about the impact on the neck and more in general on the instrument position (eg Does it push the neck further away? Does it feel different? What about the weight? etc.).
Because I remember watching a review of one of the 35" scale MTDs where the "longer neck" feeling was mentioned.
Tbf, I don't even know if that would be an issue for me, since like I said I haven't played one yet, but I'm curious to hear people's opinions about it.

I have two 35” 5 strings (Elrick & Lakland), and regularly switch between them and 34” (and 30”) basses. I don’t notice a difference going between 34 & 35, going to 30 from either of them takes 15mins to acclimatise, then it’s fine.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

Here’s my 2p… I have small hands, so I notice the difference. I’m not saying it’s unplayable for me, but running scales/arpeggios for long periods, my fretting hand fatigues much quicker on a 35” scale. 
the 35” defo has a tighter B, but my 34” ns5crfm now has a slightly larger gauge B string which certainly helps to tighten things up a little. 

• Like 1

@Sibob, yup, I'd defo expect to feel the difference between 30-32" and 34" scale basses. But also, I only played 1 short scale in my life, and it was matter of hours more than anything.
I think the 34" vs 35" difference seems to be down to the manufacturer and bass. I found something online that "confirmed" the fact the Spector move the bridge back by 1", so playability, neck-wise, shouldn't be affected at all.

BTW I also found the video about the MTD Kingston 5, where the reviewer mentions the neck thing

@Urban Bassman, yeah I read good things about them! I think the scale there is 36.5"/33", or something similar.
that said, I'm not into the whole fan fret thing, but that is just personal taste. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the Fishman pups. Don't get me wrong, they are really good pups, it's just that I'm after the classic Spector/EMG combo at the moment!

I found out by accident that I'd ended up playing some basses with longer scales than others because I tried a new brand of strings and they weren't quite long enough to get over the nut before starting to taper. Nobody in the shop told me when I was buying the basses in the first place, and at that time I would have been looking in the printed catalogues rather than on a website to find out myself. I just worked on the basis that a different instrument is going to feel different because it is different, so I blindly switched between 34" and 35" for years and never knew.

Talking specifically about my Spector Rebop 5s, as well as the bridge being where it is in relation to the body, I've found that the overall body shape at the upper bout when seated, and the rear strap button location when standing, both also seem to naturally bring the whole bass back a bit which leaves the neck pretty much where I expect to find it after playing a 34" Ibanez SR. Contrast that with my old BC Rich Warlock 5 which was also 35" scale, but felt like it should come with field glasses to sight the headstock when seated and forced you into back-injuring contortions when standing, and I'd have to conclude that overall ergonomics affect playability much more than an inch in scale length.

• Like 1

On 10/06/2022 at 16:45, Grahambythesea said:

I had a 35” scale 5 string Spector and to be honest it felt no different to ply than a 34” scale. It did have an excellent B, no flop at all.

I have the same bass now. Being fret less, it took about 2 days to get used to. Now, I perceive no difference at all and a lovely feel and tone.

• Like 2