Why become a member? ×

Help choosing a Rat based pedal.

spyder

I tried the standard Rat effect with my P bass and loved the sound apart from the suck out of bass and lack of clean blend.

I've considered the Fat version to add some bottom but would still like a clean blend.

Can you guys please help........

What effects pedals are Rat based with no loss of bottom end and have a clean blend.

Many thanks.

Turbo RAT is the way to go for bass, as it'll retain low end considerably better than a standard RAT. 

The dirt cheap, but non the less genuinely great, Mosky Black Rat, RAT clone, features both a Vintage, classic, silicon diode clipping, RAT mode and a Turbo, LED diode clipping, RAT mode, and it is a bit darker voiced and retains low end a bit better than most other RAT clones on the market.

I am extremely satisfied with my Mosky Black Rat, and as said Turbo RAT mode is the way to go for bass.

When that is said you might want to consider either getting a RAT clone with a clean signal blend, or get something like the Boss LS-2 (or the smaller, and, unlike the Boss LS-2, including a phase switch, but more expensive, and, unlike the Boss LS-2, beside the phase switch, with no additional features/functionality, One Control Mosquito Blender Trail), which will allow you to blend in parallel clean signal with any pedal, and for certain help you retain the bottom end of your bass, as well as improved articulation and definition.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Just don't hang me for heresy, but I happen to like the RAT emulation inside Zoom multiFX pedals. It's blendable, which is one of the requisites. This is my standard "ratted" pick tone both for playing thru' amps and for recording metal/HC/punk. It's the RAT emulation (BA Squeak) plus SansAmp emulation + compression. Not a P bass, but a J, first both pickups, then just the neck (closer to a P). Recorded with a G1Xon that cost me 35€ (firmware tuned with added bass FX).

• Like 4

Just now, spyder said:

Out of stock.....😒

Sadly they went out of stock about 45 minutes ago. That was the longest I've seen a Broughton pedal up (save for the Josh Wah and a few of the utility pedals) in a long time. The Omnicomp is up next week though and is definitely worth a look (although not as a Rat...).