Why become a member? ×

New JOYO compressor...

Bigwan

Definitely looks interesting, and with a nice set of controls/features too.

Not that I am in a market for a compressor though, but if I was it would definitely be one of the top pedals on my list of potential candidates.

-[[ !!!DISCLAIMER!!! : Following is a long, somewhat off topic, ramble, about my personal relation to compressors in general, if you can't be bothered to read it just jump to the concluding 2 final paragraphs of this post. ]]-

In fact I just ditched my, until quite recently, front of signal chain TC Electronic SpectraComp, that I otherwise meticulous had dialed in, using the Toneprint editor to suit my needs and preferences, and instead now only use the "160 Comp" model, emulation of the legendary DBX 160A rack compressor, in my Zoom MS-70CDR digital multi stomp box, placed towards the end of my signal chain, dialed in to deliver a very subtle compression, with a just 2.5:1 compression ratio, just tightening up my tone ever so slightly and adding a slight bit of extra punch, snap and bite to it, but while practically otherwise practically leaving my basic tone and picking dynamics intact (believe me Zoom really nailed it with this emulation, it sounds genuinely great, and it works exceptionally well with bass).

And beside the very subtle additional compression from the Mosky XP Booster, amazing Xotic EP Booster V1 clone, at the very front of my signal chain, and the tubes in the 2 tube preamps that concludes the signal chain of my "amp-less" setup, this is all the compression that I currently use.

Never been much of a compressor guy, and even when I used the SpectraComp it had been dialed in fairly subtly and utilizing parallel compression (that is parallel uncompressed clean blend), sure compression can be nice for tightening up your tone and for emphasizing the attack, adding extra punch, snap and bite, but unless dialed in very carefully and rather subtle I feel like it very easily and quickly starts to affect my playing dynamics and tone negatively, like loosing dynamic range (which I am aware is exactly what a lot of people primarily use compression for) and ruining the natural frequency balance of my tone and making it less complex and somewhat more one dimensional sounding (though I guess this too is what some people might like about compression, making your signal sound more uniform).

Though I am kind of really curious about, and kind of has a minor case of GAS for, the Markbass Compressore, which is a genuine tube compressor with an impressive amount of control over the compression, as I love how the demo audio clips and videos featuring I have heard/watched sounds, but I got a feeling it still wouldn't work for me personally. 

Sorry about the wall of text, and largely going off topic, I guess my main point really just is that I am not much of a compressor kind of person, and when I do use it, for other than post production mixing and mastering when recording/producing music that is, I tend to use it in a somewhat less traditional fashion (primarily for a slight emphasis of the attack, adding extra punch, snap and bite, rather than to tame dynamics), and that I feel I already got all the compression, which is not really all that much, that I need.

I still might end up getting this new Joyo compressor, as it, as said, does look interesting, and has a nice set of features, simply out of curiosity, but if I do so I still very much doubt I will actually end up using it for anything. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2