Why become a member? ×

Battery Powered Bass Combos

Dusty

Is there anything out there worth checking out ?

My local Ukulele band have asked me to join them and add some bass to their gigs. No problem indoors with power, but outside at fetes, busking etc, power is not always a option.

Is there anything out there ?

Thanks

The original PJB Briefcase models could run off a laptop battery, though they didn't come equipped with the battery. Later models switched to an internal transformer and a standard IEEC cable, so unless you can find a used original model (the Briefcase is no longer produced), the only battery powered thing out there, specifically for bass is the Roland micro cube.

There are tiny battery powered offerings from Blackstar  - but IME they're glorified headphone amps and not powerful enough for busking. 

I have the Roland and It's OK, not amazing, but will do the job as long as you're not expecting too much tone-wise and your drummer isn't a nutter. 

Most of the PJB briefcases I have seen work from mains or a 12v 7Ahr lead acid battery, not a laptop battery, but I think one of the newer combos does use a laptop battery.

Depending in the OP's DIY skills, a brick sized 12 v battery and a car audio booster amplifier can be used with existing speakers, and is sensitive enough that you don't need a preamp or booster with an active bass.

The item on the left is a 150w into 4 ohms when bridged, class AB amplifier, and lasts over an hour with the battery shown.  The item on the right is a class D amplifier of similar power.

DSCF2774.JPG.915b2addb813a898b65d032b5df

David

• Like 1

The dinky little Roland microcube bass rx is surprisingly loud for its size and can be powered from six of poundland's finest AA batteries for several hours. It works really well with a Kala ubass and with the amp modelling the tonal options are very flexible, plus there's a built in preset compressor as well as digital fx: chorus/flanger/autowah/delay/reverb. I've used mine for unplugged rehearsals and jam sessions. As long as the ukes aren't amplified and no one's playing a drumkit (a cajon would be OK) it should be all you need—even for outdoor sessions.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

On 09/06/2022 at 12:51, TheRev said:

The original PJB Briefcase models could run off a laptop battery, though they didn't come equipped with the battery. Later models switched to an internal transformer and a standard IEEC cable, so unless you can find a used original model (the Briefcase is no longer produced), the only battery powered thing out there, specifically for bass is the Roland micro cube.

There are tiny battery powered offerings from Blackstar  - but IME they're glorified headphone amps and not powerful enough for busking. 

I have the Roland and It's OK, not amazing, but will do the job as long as you're not expecting too much tone-wise and your drummer isn't a nutter. 

The Double Four can be run off a laptop battery. The Briefcase I have runs off a lead-acid gel battery similar to a small motorbike battery or UPS battery, 12V 7Ah. Or you can connect any external battery to the terminals with a couple of banana plug cables.

On 09/06/2022 at 11:28, Dusty said:

Is there anything out there worth checking out ?

My local Ukulele band have asked me to join them and add some bass to their gigs. No problem indoors with power, but outside at fetes, busking etc, power is not always a option.

Is there anything out there ?

The Roland micro cube has been mentioned above. I recently had a chance to try one out and it worked very nicely; the particular band for which I use it normally complains that the bass is too quiet, but were completely satisfied during this gig.

There's a video here (apologies for bad playing; recovering from illness) which I have already posted elsewhere, so further apologies if you've seen it twice:

https://youtu.be/V6YLqu1Zb7E

I was using a pre-amp otherwise the pickup sounds dreadful.

N.B. it's fine with this amount of drumming, but is overwhelmed in the presence of a full kit.