Why become a member? ×

Bass Snobbery

Supernaut

52 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Whether we model the sock as a planar surface or as a 3D object, the initial point remains correct even the doughnut comparison does not.

The bit you push your foot through is not a hole.

The bit my foot pushes through is a hole..! :$

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

If you think of a donut as having a surface and containing volume and a holed sock being a planar surface with a hole then they are topologically a bit different. The donut has only one side!

Unless you consider the dimension of time, but when reading threads on basschat I expect discussion on whether I should use flat or wound strings, not references to string theory.

12 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Whether we model the sock as a planar surface or as a 3D object, the initial point remains correct even the doughnut comparison does not.

To be mind-numbingly pedantic, actually it is a hole. A sock is a planar surface with a hole, not entirely dissimilar to a holed flower, with a number of long, narrow leaves, but in the case of the sock the "leaves" are bent in such a fashion that their sides and ends meet neatly, thus providing sometimes ample space for your feet without there being a planar-surfaceless bit where your toes tend to be.

The knitted wool is there to keep the "leaves" together. You don't want surprises when visiting Her Majesty and she goes: "In our house we ask all guests to take off their shoes; it's for the carpet, see?"

😉

Edited by BassTractor

3 hours ago, ubit said:

I agree. Lime house Lizzy are a great band but the Stingray bothers me as it just doesn’t look right. He has bothered trying to get the rest of the look spot on but doesn’t get the bass right. Nothing wrong with Stingrays but you wouldn’t do a Jimi Hendrix tribute with a Les Paul would you? 

im willing to bet on a list of People I want to attract to the shows, "Lizzy fans with extra spending budget" rank high while "bass players" rank pretty low.... 😁 

4 hours ago, ubit said:

I agree. Lime house Lizzy are a great band but the Stingray bothers me as it just doesn’t look right. He has bothered trying to get the rest of the look spot on but doesn’t get the bass right. Nothing wrong with Stingrays but you wouldn’t do a Jimi Hendrix tribute with a Les Paul would you? 

image.thumb.png.e9b027140079f0320a84779a80c8f164.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

If you inspect a sock it's topology depends on what type of fibre it's woven from (e.g. cotton is hollow, nylon is not).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Of string theory I know nothing, except ime flats are flatter than rounds.

ahh haa ....  but then you must also know then that rounds are rounder than flats ? :scratch_one-s_head:

if not,  then i have just doubled your knowledge of string theory,

your welcome :thank_you:

I hear a lot of bass snobbery.

But out in the wilds my 2 cheapest basses, the Ibanez and Harley Benton, are the 2 that get the most complimentary comments about the tone from other musicians.

But I never gave a sheet what some PEON thinks anyway. Life's too short for that. The biggest snobs are usually the ones with the smallest genitalia.

• Like 1

It does exist, but as you get older you care less about what someone is using and become more interested in why they are using it. Especially with amps, I’ve seen some ramshackle gear held together with gaffer tape and luck that sound amazing in the past.

• Like 2

Well I’ve just made the decision to gig Mexican made Fender Precisions. The band I gig with does those venues where there’s never enough proper storage space to leave the gear lying around so rather than take my US ones along and be paranoid about them all evening I’ll gig the MIMs (2 in my Mono Dual M80). Not that I don’t care about them, just that  they’re not worth as much. Perfectly fine for gigging and if anyone thinks I’m a lesser bassist so what!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Well I’ve just made the decision to gig Mexican made Fender Precisions. The band I gig with does those venues where there’s never enough proper storage space to leave the gear lying around so rather than take my US ones along and be paranoid about them all evening I’ll gig the MIMs (2 in my Mono Dual M80). Not that I don’t care about them, just that  they’re not worth as much. Perfectly fine for gigging and if anyone thinks I’m a lesser bassist so what!

I've got a MIM Precision and also one from parts; they are both very good basses.