Why become a member? ×

Bass Snobbery

Supernaut

On 12/06/2022 at 12:38, Richard R said:

To be mind-numbingly pedantic and tedious, a normal new sock is topologically identical to a flat sheet, is has just been pressed into a shape. Same topology as a tumbler, a bowl, or a vase. So it has no hole. Once it has (one) hole then it's the same as a doughnut.

If you are mind-numbingly pedantic and tedious, you are not alone. It was my immediate thought when I read the sock/hole post.

I saw your post before I had decided whether to succumb to the temptation to post a comment similar (but less eloquent) comment.

In 40-odd years of playing no one's ever come the bass snob, what's that, is it a copy, get a real Fender, why don't you play a proper bass routine with me. Maybe I've just been lucky.

One time I swapped out a Jap Vantage for a P Bass and the guitarist said 'Oh, that P sounds better' which wasn't a problem for me because, for what we were playing, it did sound better.

Mind you, I've had hundreds of people tell me 'You're playing that wrong'. 

Swings and roundabouts. One man's floor is another man's poison. Où sont les neiges d'antan?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Mind you, I've had hundreds of people tell me 'You're playing that wrong'. 

In a former life as a guitarist, I was once told at the end of the version of 'Another Brick in the Wall' that "David Gilmour wouldn't have played it like that." To which I had to own up and admit that I wasn't David Gilmour. Rock star name snobbery? 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I've only ever commented on someone else's bass at a gig twice in my life, once when after some drink had been taken I approached the bassist from Limehouse Lizzy during the break (he was at the bar in a small club) and asked how come he was playing a Stingray...he said "Because I like Stingrays", and he's a big bloke, so I smiled, nodded, bought him a drink and we chatted about Stingrays (tho as a trib band I thought it was a valid question...they'd gone the extra mile with all the other stuff), and the second time when a bunch of kids (and I don't mean the 50-somethings 'bunch of kids' here, which can mean anyone under 30, I mean young teenagers) were playing before us in a bar (they were very, very good), and I had a chat with the bassist/singer's Dad, mostly to say how good I thought she was/they were, but also to gently suggest that a short(er) scale bass might make her life a bit easier - she did seem to be struggling on the full-sized Jazz she was playing - and he was actually very interested, having thought short scales weren't 'proper basses' - he was an ex-guitarist, after all...

Other than that, yer honour... 😕🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Franticsmurf said:

In a former life as a guitarist, I was once told at the end of the version of 'Another Brick in the Wall' that "David Gilmour wouldn't have played it like that." To which I had to own up and admit that I wasn't David Gilmour. Rock star name snobbery? 😀

Which reminds me of that gag that ends "Tony Curtis doesn't have his hair cut like that."  "He does if he comes here." 😀

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

If you think of a donut as having a surface and containing volume and a holed sock being a planar surface with a hole then they are topologically a bit different. The donut has only one side!

Good point.  In my defence, I wear particularly thick socks, so the approximation to a planar surface doesn't apply.*

* he says, quickly thinking on his feet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Muzz said:

after some drink had been taken I approached the bassist from Limehouse Lizzy during the break (he was at the bar in a small club) and asked how come he was playing a Stingray...he said "Because I like Stingrays", and he's a big bloke, so I smiled, nodded, bought him a drink and we chatted about Stingrays (tho as a trib band I thought it was a valid question...they'd gone the extra mile with all the other stuff),

Ah yes, Wayne Ellis.... lovely bloke. :)

I too always struggle with his use of a Stingray. As much because of the clicky hi-fi tone he gets from it as the way it looks in a Lizzy tribute. Speaking as someone who did a tribute for 25 years and paid 100% attention to detail that really bothered me. 'Tribute snob' that I am.... ;)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cetera said:

I too always struggle with his use of a Stingray. As much because of the clicky hi-fi tone he gets from it as the way it looks in a Lizzy tribute. Speaking as someone who did a tribute for 25 years and paid 100% attention to detail that really bothered me. 'Tribute snob' that I am.... ;)

Hmmm - I think I recall you turning your nose up at my Warwicks at the last bass bash! 🙂

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cetera said:

I agree. Lime house Lizzy are a great band but the Stingray bothers me as it just doesn’t look right. He has bothered trying to get the rest of the look spot on but doesn’t get the bass right. Nothing wrong with Stingrays but you wouldn’t do a Jimi Hendrix tribute with a Les Paul would you? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, prowla said:

Hmmm - I think I recall you turning your nose up at my Warwicks at the last bass bash! 🙂

Yeah, sorry about that.... it's an involuntary reflex I have ;)

Nothing personal! lol! 🤣

4 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

If you think of a donut as having a surface and containing volume and a holed sock being a planar surface with a hole then they are topologically a bit different. The donut has only one side!

Whether we model the sock as a planar surface or as a 3D object, the initial point remains correct even the doughnut comparison does not.

The bit you push your foot through is not a hole.