Why become a member? ×

Bass Snobbery

Supernaut

3 hours ago, Nicko said:

Oh, in that case we don't agree.😀

Snobbery and it's reverse is IMO about the status of the owner rather than the object.  A snide comment on the quality of a bass or the gratuitously ostentatious nature of an instrument implies that the player is less than discerning.  

tHgijtm.gif

53 minutes ago, peteb said:

Let me put your mind at rest. I've played a Harley Benton (extremely good for the price point) and I've played a Fodera. I can assure you that the Fodera is by far the better bass (probably the best I've ever played)...! 

Bloody should be better for 20 times the price. Somehow I doubt it's even twice as good let alone 20 times. It is 20 times uglier though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Bloody should be better for 20 times the price. Somehow I doubt it's even twice as good let alone 20 times. It is 20 times uglier though.

More inverse snobbery again.

I'm not sure how you determine just how much better one bass is from another, but lets just say that it is 'significantly' better (although that doesn't really do the Fodera justice). I'm not particularly keen on the slightly oversized headstock, but apart from that the Fodera I played looked great (you should note that it wasn't one of the singlecut affairs). The HB was one of the ugliest basses I've ever seen and weighed a ton, but played really well for such a cheap bass. 

53 minutes ago, peteb said:

More inverse snobbery again.

I'm not sure how you determine just how much better one bass is from another, but lets just say that it is 'significantly' better (although that doesn't really do the Fodera justice). I'm not particularly keen on the slightly oversized headstock, but apart from that the Fodera I played looked great (you should note that it wasn't one of the singlecut affairs). The HB was one of the ugliest basses I've ever seen and weighed a ton, but played really well for such a cheap bass. 

There’s room in this world for cheap HBs and ugly Foderas, feel the ❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lemme open up this other can of worms…how about folks who have a whole room full of basses, amps, pedals, etc versus us purists that get it done plugging straight into their only amp having never owned more than 2 basses at the same time…

going to go get some popcorn now…:)

6 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

Lemme open up this other can of worms…how about folks who have a whole room full of basses, amps, pedals, etc versus us purists that get it done plugging straight into their only amp having never owned more than 2 basses at the same time…

Surely just different set ups for different purposes. If you're music best suits a simple set up then why buy any more? It worked for Lemmy so who are we to argue with that?

If you're in a doom band where a dual amp set up with a ton of effects is needed then why not? There's some great sounds to be had with a range of effects.

11 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

Why not ask if you really need a compressor and does it make any difference if a bass is made of 'tone woods' or polystyrene and you've got a Basschat full house! 

11 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

how about folks who have a whole room full of basses, amps, pedals,

I'm definitely count as 1 of the above.

Over 8 years now and I still rate my £76 Harley Benton PB-50 as one of my better purchases 🙂

OK, the paisley pink finish on the Fender is prettier but the HB plays and sounds every bit as good.

5 minutes ago, peteb said:

Why not ask if you really need a compressor and does it make any difference if a bass is made of 'tone woods' or polystyrene and you've got a Basschat full house! 

Why didn’t I think of that…compression is for losers!

23 minutes ago, peteb said:

Have we done the “Jaco only needed 4” comment yet…that’s the royal flush…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Have we done the “Jaco only needed 4” comment yet…that’s the royal flush…

Forgot that, along with the 'Jaco was cr@p', for the full royal flush... 

Edited by peteb

3 hours ago, Mastodon2 said:

In the ultra-conservative world of bass guitar, you're more likely to face snobbery if you're playing something high-end. More than 4 strings, exotic woods, luxury appointments etc, the more you have the more likely you'll be to draw the ire of the "P Bass is all you need" crowd.

Are bass players more conservative than guitar players? 

1 hour ago, peteb said:

Only if it’s wearing flats surely? 

I have a couple of relatively expensive basses (Stingray and a vintage Tokai), but I now only gig with with a Harley Benton PB50 or and Ibanez Talman. My good stuff stays well away from drunken dancing pillocks these days and nobody seems to notice.

• Like 3