Why become a member? ×

Bass Snobbery

Supernaut

How common is snobbery in the bass world?

How many of you scoff at someone who plays a Squier instead of a Fender?

Coming from two of my other interests, watches and whisky, where snobs are left, right and centre, how does the bass world compare? 

I’ve been on the end of it. When I first started playing bass, I went to jams to get out and play and maybe pick up some contacts. I certainly wasn’t a musical noob, as I’d been playing guitar previously for nearly 30 years. At one jam, run by a local blues guitar hero, I heard a snide comment from one of the house band about non Fenders. As I was pretty much the only other person there at the time, with my Yamaha in tow, I can only assume it was aimed at me and my ‘starter’ bass. What an absolute tool 😠.

• Like 2

People are the same in all walks of life, because people are people. Some people have a large amount of their self image tied to brands or objects. And I guess at some level, it isn't a binary, we are probably all guilty of it to some extent, but in some it really is excessive. The further up the chain you go, the more excessive it gets.

I mean if everyone is playing squiers, who cares if you come in with a squier. Unless of course you come in with a Kay - screw that guy :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Not so much, I'm considered a gear freak with my peers I see at gigs and love discussing pedals and amps and that, get asked for advice, so rather than belittle fellow bassists we just chat stuff, I don't really mind what you play as long as it's cool.

I see more snobbery on here tbh, glass backs and in ear peddlers. ooerr controversial

• Like 1

You get snobbery in all walks of life, as far as gear is concerned. When I was younger I probably had an element of snobbery about things like that, but as I've grown older, I've realised that it really doesn't matter that much what gear you are using, it's what you do with it. I play a Squier Jazz bass that I've had for 30 years and recently bought a Harley Benton Telecaster as I've only just started playing electric guitar and didn't want to fork out a fortune on something I may not enjoy or be able to play. I may upgrade to a better guitar at some point, but for now, I can get a bit of a tune out of it and am happy with it. 

• Like 2

Our guitarist has a number of Squier Tele's and Fender MIM/MIA ones too. I always ask him if he has brought the 'real Fender' to the gig. I say it not as an instrument snob but as part of a running joke: when he first joined he brought a different and tasty Tele every week to the rehearsals.....

Myself I've had Indo Squiers and Mexican Fenders, my current Fender is a 72 USA Tele Bass: I've been happy with them all until GAS intervened!

• Like 2

It happens but it is rare. I went down to just two Squiers a few years ago and used them at some pro gigs and one an album. We played a show in Windsor and the support bass player came up to compliment me on my tone and bass - he then clocked the logo and began backpedalling massively. This stands out in isolation. I am now back to mainly expensive basses simply because at that time I could afford them and it's nice to have nice things BUT I think most people judge a player on their playing, not their kit. I'd rather see a good band with rubbish kit then a rubbish band with all the gear.

• Like 8

I exhibit that type of snobbery, but only in regards to myself, I just don’t feel like a “proper” bassist unless I’m using my US Fenders. Which is ridiculous as I’ve seen many pro bassists & guitarists using Mex Fenders, Squiers, Epiphones. It’s just something I can’t seem to get past, however my one justification I can use is that my US ones are better - for me. I enjoy playing the ones I have more than any others, including different ranges of US ones.

• Like 7

I certainly used to suffer from gear snobbery when I was younger, but as I've got older and more experienced I'll often gig with my cheapest instruments as they play better or suit what I'm playing better. I've been known to gig everything from £120 up to several thousands of pounds: if it's right it's right. 

If anyone comments on my gear choice (which I've had on occasion) I generally just shrug, smile sweetly and tell them it's what I choose to play right now. 

• Like 3

On 09/06/2022 at 09:38, Lozz196 said:

I exhibit that type of snobbery, but only in regards to myself, I just don’t feel like a “proper” bassist unless I’m using my US Fenders. Which is ridiculous as I’ve seen many pro bassists & guitarists using Mex Fenders, Squiers, Epiphones. It’s just something I can’t seem to get past, however my one justification I can use is that my US ones are better - for me. I enjoy playing the ones I have more than any others, including different ranges of US ones.

I'm the same, it's silly really, as I've owned/own a few Squiers and I know how good they are.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1

The only snobbery I've noticed is the common complaint against bass guitars when playing jazz, and that's usually not from other bassists.

Most recently it's been a guitarist; asking when I'm going to get a "proper bass" and then when I eventually find a nice one and space to keep it telling me that I wasted too much money when I could have just had a beginner one from Thomann for much less.

• Like 1

I don't think it's any worse (or better) regarding bass, than it is for guitar. I certainly hear a lot of "gear talk" among guitarists, and have heard some gear related snobbery.

I know I've suffered a little bit from it myself in the past. Perhaps this is because years ago, I couldn't afford much, and could only buy cheaper brands and copies - therefore, I aspired to getting hold of Fenders, Ricks etc. In recent years, I've suffered terrible bouts of GAS, mainly because I've had more cash, and far too often fancied "one of those" or "one in that colour as well".

My P bass of choice now is my Fender P in fiesta Red. It has replaced my Squier CV as my main gigging bass, not because of snobbery - but because I just prefer playing it atm, and I'm getting the sounds I want from it. The CV was my main gigging bass, and I didn't care that it said Squier on the headstock.

Bizarrely I was on the receiving end when I was playing my old Marleaux.

A "do you think you'll ever get a Fender?" type thing.

I said "Well I suppose I could sell this and buy 4 of them, but why?"

Cheaper instruments have never been better, and some expensive ones are only expensive because of an artist name.

I don't have my silly money Zon or Marleaux anymore and now my most expensive is a Sandberg Superlight (don't know the value of my Fender Urge 2) but I'm just as happy to gig my £200 Ibanez Mezzo.

Probably less chance of it getting nicked too.

• Like 4

It's everywhere online, less prevalent in person (where it actually takes some bravery/bravado to be mean to someone).

Do I do it?  No.  Let the playing to do the talking.  I know fantastic players who play Squiers.  I would also say that the quality gap between the bottom and the top has been shrinking for some time now.  I would happily gig a Squier - if I found one that tickled my fancy.

F'n hate whisky snobs too.  "How dare you put ice in that Glenwhatsitsface!" - p!$$ off.

• Like 7

Brand snobbery is an intrinsic part of capitalism.

Is a US Fender really 2 or 3 times beter than Mexican?

Is a 4x4 Porche really 3 or 4  times better than a Skoda Yeti?

The answer is only 'yes' as long as people believe in the added value from the prestige of the brand.

Otherwise it's almost impossible to account for the mark up just from the 'higher quality' components used in the prestige brands.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 4

Is it more fetish or cult than snobbery? The amount of people here who have basses not made by Fender which have had Fender logos put on them... it's not a small number. Some cost more than a Fender they're pretending to be. Why do people feel the need to been seen or associate with one particular brand?

As with many purchases in life I've always found the middle ground build/pricing the most rewarding and best quality/value for money.

I'd happily take a Jap Fender over a US one any day. Same with a mid level Epiphone over a Gibson. Some of the better Squiers are awesome too....

As much as I love my US Spectors (all bought used) I'm more than happy with my many Spector Euro builds as well.....

• Like 5

I think we all like and appreciate the really good stuff, so I'm not 100% immune to some snobbishness, but with experience comes understanding...

We have all known Squiers nicer than Fenders and Epiphones better than Gibsons - great setup is what makes the difference.

Ultimately it's how good a player you are - what's cooler, a great player on a £200 bass or a mediocre player on a £3000 super bass?

Are you a collector of instruments or a player of music?

Instruments need to make music and it's the quality of the music that counts.

(Please ignore the list of not-at-all-snobbish instruments in my sig...  😉 )

Edited by Bigguy2017
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

I think we all like and appreciate the really good stuff, so I'm not 100% immune to some snobbishness, but with experience comes understanding...

We have all known Squiers nicer than Fenders and Epiphones better than Gibsons - great setup is what makes the difference.

Ultimately it's how good a player you are - what's cooler, a great player on a £200 bass or a mediocre player on a £3000 super bass?

Are you a collector of instruments or a player of music?

Instruments need to make music and it's the quality of the music that counts.

I would say the mediocre player with the £3k super bass. The vast majority of what we play as bassists in 'popular music' can be adequately played by a mediocre player, so I'd quite like to see the super bass :)

• Haha 5

41 minutes ago, cetera said:

As with many purchases in life I've always found the middle ground build/pricing the most rewarding and best quality/value for money.

I'd happily take a Jap Fender over a US one any day. Same with a mid level Epiphone over a Gibson. Some of the better Squiers are awesome too....

As much as I love my US Spectors (all bought used) I'm more than happy with my many Spector Euro builds as well.....

Have to admit certainly re guitars I preferred my Epiphone SG to the Gibson, about a quarter of the price but just feels so much better to play, hence I sold said Gibbo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

F'n hate whisky snobs too.  "How dare you put ice in that Glenwhatsitsface!" - p!$$ off.

Together with, “Ooh that’s nice, what is it?” You name the spirit. “Oh, a blend…” :facepalm:

Back on basses, these days, I particularly like taking a great playing cheaper instrument and making better with a few (or more) tweaks. Perhaps I’ve always liked that, as I remember my modded, bolt on lawsuit Aria Les Paul* tonally blowing away a full fat Gibson back in my youth.

*See guitars I regret selling. :facepalm:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Cuts both ways, dunnit?

I once turned up at a jam with an Alleva Coppolo KBP5 and someone asked if I couldn't afford a real Fender ...

I had exactly that with an Overwater Jazz 5 string. “What’s that then? Fenders a bit expensive for you”.

I could not be the bigger man at that point sadly and subtlety told the guitarist that it was custom built in the uk and how much it was….he went quiet very quickly and I felt good for about 10 seconds.

• Like 3

Just now, NJE said:

I had exactly that with an Overwater Jazz 5 string. “What’s that then? Fenders a bit expensive for you”.

I could not be the bigger man at that point sadly and subtlety told the guitarist that it was custom built in the uk and how much it was….he went quiet very quickly and I felt good for about 10 seconds.

Yeah, but a glorious 10 seconds. Plus, you taught someone a valuable lesson.

• Like 1