Why become a member? ×

Rick-O build

Bassfinger

Meanwhile, I was going to dye the front.  However, after I'd applied one coat of oil to the rear I realised that the ash had some nice grain, do I decided to oil the whole thing.

2 coats in with the slurry method and it's starting to feel smooth. I'll let it dry for a few days and then crack on with the 3rd, and repeat until it's 8 or 10 coats on there.

IMG_20220615_102823_979.thumb.jpg.9bb8159f8b313cdbd1f6df38475ae251.jpg

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 5

The contrast between the stain and the binding looks great and it sets the bass off beautifully. That’s going to look really classy with chrome hardware 😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Oh, before anyone asks that's part of my latest lawnmower resto in the background. This one's a 1968 Suffolk Colt that I'm going to give to my FiL as a present.

What? Where's the build diary for that?

Ive always got a lawnmower or two on the go. I have a Super Colt and a Punch in the queue after that one, all much the same other than the dimensions.  I don't keep many though, only currently have 2 plus my normal lawnmower.  You run out of room even quickler than collecting basses!

You can imaging Mrs Bassfinger's joy each summer when I get excited because the Vintage Lawnmower Club hold their annual rally not far from here!

3rd coat of oil on. Not much to see beyond the last photo, so no new pic.

By kerrang, it's too hot to be in the sun wet sanding tung oil, butneven worse doing it in a stifling workshop. At least the oil is

drying quickly in this heat.

On 15/06/2022 at 10:42, Bassfinger said:

Oh, before anyone asks that's part of my latest lawnmower resto in the background. This one's a 1968 Suffolk Colt that I'm going to give to my FiL as a present.

Does your father-in-law want a vintage lawnmower? I'm trying to imagine the look of bemused politeness if he actually expected a Joni Mitchell CD.

• Haha 3

Thank you!

Ok, the no name jazz pickup for the bridge position is headed for the bin, as I've found the Entwistle pickup I knew I had somewhere.  I love Entwistle jazz pups, bags of volume and clarity with a tasteful touch of grit, so I am most pleased. Why people pay up to 10 times as much for something no better is beyond me, but hey ho.

Thinking i'll dispense with the neck pickup and replace it with a Retrovibe job.  I've Retrovibe pups in several basses, including the mudbucker conversion in my '54 CV, and have vnever been anyrhing less than highly impressed.

I want to to look, at a glance at least, like a real Rick-O so have ordered one of the made in USA stickers for the pickguard. It's for my own satisfaction, I won't be trying to pass it off as a real one and it's highly doubtful that anyone with functioning eyes would be fooled anyway.  Still, ill be using a sharpie to write inside the cavities and under the pickguard "THIS IS A FAKE", so in 200 years when Im gone and this bass crops up on the Antiques Roadshow no one will be deceived or ripped off.  It's a bit of fun for my own pleasure, not an attempt to cash in.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

ill be using a sharpie to write inside the cavities and under the pickguard "THIS IS A FAKE", so in 200 years when Im gone and this bass crops up on the Antiques Roadshow no one will be deceived or ripped off.  It's a bit of fun for my own pleasure, not an attempt to cash in.

If it was me I'd write "(or is it?)" in small letters underneath.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've not fogotten!

Have finished the front in danish oil, 5 coats. Gives a nice shine and makes it more resistant to mucky hand prints.

Also done the neck in danish oil, and it looks lovely.

Left the sides and back with the wax over tung oil, which looks pleasant and adds a nice contrast to the gloss front.

Its hanging up in the workshop curing.  In this hot weather its 40°C out there if the door is kept shut, so it should cure and harden nicely.

Now it's a waiting game while the new neck pickup and bridge work their way ro me through the post, then I can press on with some assembly.

Right, DV247 are arsing me about with the pickup.  Luckily I paid via PayPal and got a refund right quick.

Retrovibe toaster duly ordered instead, so I have to wait again.

Still, other things to be done. There was quite a build up of Danish oil on the neck and a week drying in a 40°C workshop has cured it so it's now harder than a Ross Kemp documentary.  Given a good T cut and buffed to a high shine and it looks and feels lovely.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Built up the Danish oil on the neck like varnish. You can do this but it takes an age to dry, sometimes months. Fortunately a week of 40C temps in the workshop have done the trick.

Rubbed back with 0000 wire wool and T cut, then buffed and waxed. Lovely.

IMG_20220722_114045_158.thumb.jpg.2fb0df55ab0c76c82cd434c12f6a6ff0.jpg

• Like 4