Why become a member? ×

Wireless

There are quite a few threads on here with various opinions on the subject.

I’ll give my standard response of the Shure GLXD16 being the best of the many I have tried.

Not cheap, but bombproof and worth it in my opinion.

https://www.shure.com/en-GB/products/wireless-systems/glx-d_digital_wireless/glxd16-guitar-pedal-set

• Like 5

I've had the Xvives ( first gen ) before my current wireless setup, and they were fine till they stopped charging up via USB.  They lasted a year or so so a waste of over 100 quid

Then i went upmarket and bought a Line 6 Relay. 50 quid more than the Xvives but so much better all round.  Quality, and no non - consumable batteries to contend with

https://www.andertons.co.uk/line-6-wireless-guitar-offer

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fleabag said:

I've had the Xvives ( first gen ) before my current wireless setup, and they were fine till they stopped charging up via USB.  They lasted a year or so so a waste of over 100 q

This is exactly my experience with the Xvives. Stupid thing not to be abble to change the battery.

This is why I choose the Smoothound that words with classic AAA Battery.

https://www.smoothhound-innovations.com/classic-wireless-guitar-system

Edited by Aalin
  • Like 1

I've got a couple of Line 6 G70 units. They are discontinued now. Some reported drop outs in use - I only had that when I didn't follow the start up scanning process to look for a clear frequency. When that is done they've been rock solid.

If I was looking for a replacement, I'd get the Shure GLXD16. I nearly bought that the first time round, it was only that Andertons did a really cheap clear out price (50% off) that made me go for the L6 ones. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Mine is the G75 and never had the teeniest problem from it at any gig

Now that I remember I did have an issue in the house.

I eventually discovered it was whenever the tumble dryer was on. It's an ancient dryer and it makes a racket and the bushings are shot.

I suspect it was putting out a lot of EM signal. I really need to replace it.

I never took the dryer to a gig for the Rush look so it was never an issue at a show! :D 

Edited by fretmeister
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I've got the Harley Benton Airborn Pro, as does my guitarist. We both use then both for practice and gigging and I can't fault it at all for the money. 

I switched to one of these from from a Shure GLXd16 and a Smoothound because I got drop outs with them - I think it might have been the wireless router we use for the mixer, and in bigger pubs they failed when it filled with phones. Shame because I liked them both, although the aerials on the Smoothhound receiver get in the way a bit on a pedal board.

The Harley Benton is on the  5.8khz frequency and (touch wood) hasn't missed a beat. Flimsier than the GLXD16 but works for me.

Edited by redbandit599
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Bunion said:

Shure Glxd16 for me too with the added bonus of a built in tuner to free up space on your board. 

At the risk of sounding boring, another vote for the GLXD16. Great battery life from the rechargeable batteries, very good sound quality and I've not noticed any drop outs. 

• Like 1

I've a bunch of the line6 g50 setups across my pedal boards and they've always been ok for me, only once had an issue which was last weekend and I needed to change channel as it connected to the house radio mic frequencies...2 min fix

doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in trying the shure stuff if it's the bees knees

• Like 1

I have been using a Line 6 relay G30 for years without any problems, done theaters, indoor and large outdoor gigs , clubs, pubs etc

takes 2 rechargable AA batteries . built to last and a fair price . easy to set up and use.

the shure system is also great and has more features  but more expensive to do basicaly the same thing , all down to budgets and personal preference i guess

but either of these units will do the job for years without any problems

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

Nope, sorry, can’t make out what you’re recommending here……

The Sansamp, it's really quite incredible... 😁

In fairness I've had the current Shures, a Smoothound, the Line 6 G30 and G55 and an Amoon set. My guitarist in one band uses the Boss one, another uses a Thomann set. They're all fine. 

2 hours ago, andydye said:

could you detect any sound quality improvement when you went to the shure?

how do you get on with the rechargeable packs or do you use AA rechargeables?

In terms of sound, it’s excellent with no noticeable latency.

The battery packs in the transmitters are Shure’s own and they last very well on a single charge. They are replaceable as well, not that I’ve ever needed to. I did a four hour rehearsal last night starting with a freshly charged pack. I reckon that same pack will see me through tomorrows soundcheck and the whole gig as well before I need to change over to my back up pack. Another thing I really like about the Shure system is the clips on the transmitters are excellent. They are so strong and clip sturdily to a belt, back pocket, strap or whatever you want without the need for a pouch. A very well thought out and solid design.

On 08/06/2022 at 10:03, Aalin said:

This is exactly my experience with the Xvives. Stupid thing not to be abble to change the battery.

This is why I choose the Smoothound that words with classic AAA Battery.

https://www.smoothhound-innovations.com/classic-wireless-guitar-system

Yes no problems with the Smoothhound over several years.

I use the Line6 G30's No problems at all bar when i dropped them. The plastic case on the transmitter isn't the toughest but a replacement was fairly cheap so no long term issue. The sound is better than using a long lead.

4 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

In terms of sound, it’s excellent with no noticeable latency.

The battery packs in the transmitters are Shure’s own and they last very well on a single charge. They are replaceable as well, not that I’ve ever needed to. I did a four hour rehearsal last night starting with a freshly charged pack. I reckon that same pack will see me through tomorrows soundcheck and the whole gig as well before I need to change over to my back up pack. Another thing I really like about the Shure system is the clips on the transmitters are excellent. They are so strong and clip sturdily to a belt, back pocket, strap or whatever you want without the need for a pouch. A very well thought out and solid design.

oo, thanks for the info there, it does sound like they're an upgrade from my g50 mebbe then. I'm just switching over to peterson tuners though so is it easy to deactivate the shure tuner bit?

41 minutes ago, andydye said:

oo, thanks for the info there, it does sound like they're an upgrade from my g50 mebbe then. I'm just switching over to peterson tuners though so is it easy to deactivate the shure tuner bit?

I’m not sure I follow you. I don’t know why you would want to deactivate the tuner function. I’ve had a Boss TU-3 on my pedal board for what seems like forever and have recently removed it as I’ve not used it since the Shure arrived.