Why become a member? ×

Routing - any gurus here ?

fleabag

32 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I'd also be careful using a non-bearing cutter. If your template is plastic you might find it melting with the friction and the bit wandering. I've had this happen once when I was using a bearing cutter!! Must have had the speed all wrong.......

I'm using ply rather than plastic, but i'll take the advice and get bearing cutter

One other thing I'd mention which I don't think has been said.

It's a pretty good idea (IMHO) to use a drill with a fairly wide bit to drill out a lot of the cavity space before routing. It's a lower risk way of cutting and easier to clear the debris out.

If you just start routing without predrilling it's very easy for the cavity to get clogged up with fine router shavings.

Pre-drilling also allows you to take lighter cuts, which are generally safer and easier to control.

• Like 3

That was my plan - i have  wood drill bits with blades like shovels, from 10mm to 25mm.  I also have a Bosch pillar drill, so i can at least drill accurately perpendicular.

I'll hog out most of the material, letting the wood shovels clear the worst

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2022 at 22:37, fleabag said:

That was my plan - i have  wood drill bits with blades like shovels, from 10mm to 25mm.  I also have a Bosch pillar drill, so i can at least drill accurately perpendicular.

I'll hog out most of the material, letting the wood shovels clear the worst

Just make sure you don't go too deep with the shovel bits. I managed to go through the back of the body once... Forstner bits don't have the same length to the central spike.

On 07/06/2022 at 19:34, Jimothey said:

I now religiously WD40 the bearing before every use

NOOO!!! WD40 will wash out any grease from the bearing and significantly shorten the life span. It does have some lubricating properties but it will evaporate off if the bearing gets hot (which it will). Drop some 3-in-1 in there instead, or better yet re-pack it with grease.

• Like 2