Why become a member? ×

Fender Player Series Bass

Davee

6 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

i used my Player Precision for a gig last weekend and it sounded and played just great. Not quite as good as my US Standard Precision, but not far behind.

Those were my feelings when I had one, Dave, good quality basses. If I didn’t have this mental hoodoo about having to play US Fenders the Players would be more than enough for my needs.

Only negative thing I’d say is quality control, I had one, which was bought 2nd hand off EBay, ordered two others online and had to return them as there were a couple of issues on the necks (bulges).

24 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Those were my feelings when I had one, Dave, good quality basses. If I didn’t have this mental hoodoo about having to play US Fenders the Players would be more than enough for my needs.

Only negative thing I’d say is quality control, I had one, which was bought 2nd hand off EBay, ordered two others online and had to return them as there were a couple of issues on the necks (bulges).

My Player Precision seems to be OK (bought new a few weeks ago) but my MiM Vintera Jazz had to go through 3 replacements before I (or the shop - Peach guitars, who were great about getting it right) was satisfied with it.

Yup, I have a Player Precision in Tidepool, with the maple neck. Just a damn fun bass to play. Build, feel and hardware are every bit as good as a 2008 American Std Precision I had, and a Fender Japan Precision that is my number 1 bass. Maybe the pickup could have a bit more character/attitude to it, but that's just personal preference.

• Like 1

Loving the black on silver here. Recently got a Squier VM Jaguar short scale in those colours, with black headstock. Love that colour scheme. I put black pickguard screws on too. @BassAdder27which bridge did you put on? What's the weight like on these? I know weight rarely (if ever) is listed on specs, but online spec describes this as 'relatively light' - still not that helpful really. 

4 minutes ago, Gareth Hughes said:

Yup, I have a Player Precision in Tidepool, with the maple neck. Just a damn fun bass to play. Build, feel and hardware are every bit as good as a 2008 American Std Precision I had, and a Fender Japan Precision that is my number 1 bass. Maybe the pickup could have a bit more character/attitude to it, but that's just personal preference.

Comments like this really make it seem like new Fender USA basses are hugely overpriced these days. 

Edited by dmc79
  • Like 1

I put the Fender HiMass bridge on it ( perfect fit )

Main reason was the saddle screws on the original bridge would work loose.

The HiMass bridge is superb and looks great too 

Weight of bass isn’t excessive and although I’ve not weighed it I would say between 8-9lbs approx 

I can gig with it for 3hrs on a standard 2.5” wide strap and it doesn’t make my shoulder ache !

4 hours ago, dmc79 said:

What's the weight like on these? I know weight rarely (if ever) is listed on specs, but online spec describes this as 'relatively light' - still not that helpful really. 

My Tidepool is 4.13kg on a digital luggage scale, but feels/balances much lighter. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just scored a Player Precision in white/pau ferro from the bay.  Have decided that I’ll be gigging MIM basses in future due to not wanting to take US basses to the venues we play. Not cos they’re rough, more that there’s usually no designated storage areas so if my bass gets knocked over in its case I’d prefer it to not be an expensive US one. Had a Player before - albeit maple fretboard - liked it so made sense to get another.

8 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Just scored a Player Precision in white/pau ferro from the bay.  Have decided that I’ll be gigging MIM basses in future due to not wanting to take US basses to the venues we play. Not cos they’re rough, more that there’s usually no designated storage areas so if my bass gets knocked over in its case I’d prefer it to not be an expensive US one. Had a Player before - albeit maple fretboard - liked it so made sense to get another.

I’ve got the metallic silver Player and they are superb. I changed the bridge to a Fender Hi Mass as the grub screws would work loose on the stock bridge. Also put a black pickguard on it 
Lovely sounding bass 

Enjoy the new bass when it arrives 

E7041B1D-3D4B-4313-BBE8-221ACDE721B8.thumb.jpeg.24e40ebffebb2f1f8323bb33b418b7d1.jpeg

Edited by BassAdder27

On 07/06/2022 at 23:29, 12stringbassist said:

I have a buttercream Player Jazz and matching P bass, spiffed up with pearloid plates.
I also bought an Oceanic Turquoise Player P bass and the two P's have become my go-to basses.

95942791_3391148814232801_81191810722745  

That Oceanic Turquoise with tort pickguard combo is almost identical to the Emerald Blue G&L Tribute LB-100. Stopped me in my tracks because of the similarity!

I usually prefer rosewood or darker over maple boards but that does look good.

• Like 1

Those new Fender bridges are really, really good, even better for £35. I put one on my BB414 and I love it, it'd be my go-to for any bridge replacement these days...even if it does say 'FENDER' on it in rather large letters...I almost phoned Jon Shuker and asked him to put one on my incoming JJB P, but then I thought that might be pushing things a bit too far... 😕 🙂

• 2 months later...

I’ve seen comments here and there that the necks are nice on these, can anyone shed any light on the neck profiles on them? I mean the front to back thickness mainly. If anyone is able to measure with calipers just before the 1st fret that would be really helpful. Are they on the slim or chunky side of a P neck? Thanks 

Edited by dmc79

On 29/08/2022 at 14:03, dmc79 said:

I’ve seen comments here and there that the necks are nice on these, can anyone shed any light on the neck profiles on them? I mean the front to back thickness mainly. If anyone is able to measure with calipers just before the 1st fret that would be really helpful. Are they on the slim or chunky side of a P neck? Thanks 

About 22mm

• 4 months later...

Well these Player series basses are excellent. A few months back I got a 2021 Polar White P from here, and last weekend picked up in person from eBay, this lovely 2021 Black P. 

EBBC114A-1A72-4A37-BA0C-90DCA2F797D8.thumb.jpeg.4355ad20c8906f18885f11807cf582f7.jpeg

Mint condition other than the usual little scratches on the back. Just done a partial setup (truss rud, action/string height, intonation) but don’t feel I can properly judge it until I replace the dead strings (got some GHS Boomers on the way. I love that they put the Fender 75th anniversary badge on the 2021 models. A nice touch 

435DE212-C28A-4AE5-B187-DFC6CD2959A5.thumb.jpeg.0d43e0d55e8b486e8b43a453d746ee78.jpeg

Here it is alongside the white one. Black is a touch heavier at a still reasonable 3.9Kg / 8.6lbs, white is an even lighter 3.7Kg / 8.2lbs. 

637B355C-7C08-4C61-A2DE-2A872D1452DB.thumb.jpeg.38a7c8886c0755a5671557b6e3d0f135.jpeg

I’m a one bass guy, so will move one on when I’ve decided which to keep. White has CS62 pickups & a KiOgon loom installed and sounds fantastic, which I can easily swap over if I keep the black, which I probably will. 

I think these are outstanding value for money. I paid £575 with hard case for the white, and £480 without case for the black, both were mint. I was watching the black one at £550 on eBay, then one day it dropped to £480 and I was in there like a rat up a drainpipe.

I’m not convinced that the recent USA models are worth the price jump (Mexican Player: around £700 new, £450-500 used. American Professional 2: around £1,700 new, £1100-1200 used). The Players are really excellent basses for a monkey 

Edited by dmc79
  • Like 5

I have a 2022 Player Precision and a 2010 and  2012 US Standards - there isn't a great deal of difference between them. The 2012 I have had for over nine years, it was a swap for a Jazz bass, and the 2010 cost me £900 last year, not too much more than the Player.

• Like 1