Why become a member? ×

Bolt on or neckthrough ? And why?

nilorius

• nilorius changed the title to Bolt on or neckthrough ? And why?

Ideally not bolt-on mainly because for me it restricts the upper fret access - although plenty of set-neck and neck through options aren't particularly good in this respect either.

The differences in sound in the context of a band mix are minimal and not with getting bothered about IMO, so go for what suits your playing style the best. Of course if you never venture above the 12th fret then it really doesn't matter at all.

BTW to the OP, why aren't you interested in set-neck as an option? And where do you place constructions like the Gus Guitars and basses, where the underlying construction is set-neck, but then the whole thing is covered in a carbon-fibre skin which makes it look like a neck through.

And IMO necks are wonderfully resilient, and unless the wood has been poorly chosen anything that causes the neck to break is likely to affect the body too.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Ideally not bolt-on mainly because for me it restricts the upper fret access - although plenty of set-neck and neck through options aren't particularly good in this respect either.

The differences in sound in the context of a band mix are minimal and not with getting bothered about IMO, so go for what suits your playing style the best. Of course if you never venture above the 12th fret then it really doesn't matter at all.

BTW to the OP, why aren't you interested in set-neck as an option? And where do you place constructions like the Gus Guitars and basses, where the underlying construction is set-neck, but then the whole thing is covered in a carbon-fibre skin which makes it look like a neck through.

And IMO necks are wonderfully resilient, and unless the wood has been poorly chosen anything that causes the neck to break is likely to affect the body too.  

Sorry, but what are OP and IMO ?? Pics also would be nice.

Edited by nilorius

1 hour ago, nilorius said:

I think that neckthrough got more sustain, but harder to tight up the neck in proper positision.

I've never come across a through neck that's been harder to adjust.

Personally, I don't really mind... I do like a through neck as they are quite luxurious and the upper fret access is generally better, but the construction method is not a deal breaker when I'm buying an instrument.

It strikes me that the "features" that are being toted as advantage of bolt-on neck construction are there to correct the deficiencies in the design and build of the instrument in the first place.

If the heel and/or the neck pocket have been cut properly in the first place your bass should never need a shim. Any bow of the neck due to climactic conditions should be adjusted with the truss rod. Shimming the neck is not the answer in these cases. 

• Like 2

Doesn't bother me any way.  I've always considered a neck-through construction to look a little classier from a build perspective, but having owned/played several of each derivative, neck-through/bolt-on/set-neck, I don't feel there's any benefit one way or another.

By way of a dog leg, I actually like single cut basses, which have to be neck through. Gorgeous. I just don't like playing them much because they're awkward, IMO.  But obv not for this guy

I got bolt ons, set neck snd through neck basses on the fleet, and the architecture of the neck structure would seem to have minimal, if any, real effect upon the sound or playability.

Of all the attributes that people claim for through necks I have bolt ons that are better in those areas, and despite being far from the most virtuoso player to walk the planet I have zero issue with high fret access with any of them.

It's a real non concern for me.  With all the death, disease snd anguish in the world the nature of neck fixing is way down there with which is the nicest bath plug.

• Like 1

As long as it takes the guitarist to spot the only plectrum he brought to the gig on the dark stage floor, bend down and pick it up, then struggle to figure out which pedal he unplugged during that effort and get himself working again.

Sustain is serious business.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5