Why become a member? ×

Firing band members

jezzaboy

Every gig I’ve played at, at least 80% of the audience complain about the musicians with iPads/tablets on stage. The amount of letters, emails and correspondence in the broad sheets  venting their fury, is overwhelming. 

I remind the band that we are playing for the benefit of the musicians lurking in the darkened corners, not the great unwashed unknowing philistines. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

There's a very long thread about this somewhere. 

Depends entirely on your show. 

If people have come to see a band, they don't want to be faced by a wall of music folders with musicians hiding behind them. If they've gone to listen to a band and/or watch the singer, it doesn't really matter what the musicians are doing.

With the advent of small Ipads, that problem is mostly resolved now.

The use of an ipad/tablet for reference is fine but if you're putting on a show you shouldn't be hiding behind it and anchored to the spot. You might as well be staring at your shoes or frets. 

18 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I wouldn't dream of gigging without an iPad,. I have a microphone stand there anyway, so it doesn't make any difference.

Just been watching a clip of Adam Lambert at the recent regal nonsense, and was wondering how much better it would have been if he had had an iPad in front of him

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Just been watching a clip of Adam Lambert at the recent regal nonsense, and was wondering how much better it would have been if he had had an iPad in front of him

I don't know what happened as I haven't seen any of that stuff, but I know some quite big name artist have a big screen just on the floor below them. I remember watching Dolly Parton at glastonbury and as the screen panned round her lyrics were there. If it was good enough for dolly its good enough for me.

28 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I think Messrs Meddows-Taylor and May might actually have been better if they'd been fronted by an actual iPad.  They honestly need to stop, it's destroying whatever's left of their legacy.

I makes me smile reading some of these comments about the 'lack of professionalism' in using iPads/tablets and the like.

Just because you can't see the iPad/tablet doesn't mean that some of the biggest names in the business who receive adoration from millions don't use screens during live performance.

They were clearly in use bedded into the front of the stage at the Platinum Jubilee event.

I did a few gigs with a cover band and the singer insisted on having her ipad as a saftey blanket. The problem for me wasn't the ipad itself, it was the dead time between songs as she fiddled with the damn thing or attempting to slow down or speed up the app during the song to match the bands speed. Having an ipad in stage is one thing, but the endless farting about with it was just ridiculous.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Combed20 said:

I did a few gigs with a cover band and the singer insisted on having her ipad as a saftey blanket. The problem for me wasn't the ipad itself, it was the dead time between songs as she fiddled with the damn thing or attempting to slow down or speed up the app during the song to match the bands speed. Having an ipad in stage is one thing, but the endless farting about with it was just ridiculous.

Kinda takes the place of a guitarist tuning, etc between every song 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Combed20 said:

The problem for me wasn't the ipad itself, it was the dead time between songs as she fiddled with the damn thing or attempting to slow down or speed up the app during the song to match the bands speed.

don't think that they have made an iPad app that could take as much time as our guitarist tuning between every song. Not like it is ever in tune anyway. I don't understand how anyone can take so long!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

The iPad debate...! Reminds me of the long thread on here a while back where someone said wearing a watch on stage was unprofessional 🤷🏻‍♂️ each to his own!

LOL what?  I don't think that's the reason I'm unprofessional!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, neepheid said:

LOL what?  I don't think that's the reason I'm unprofessional!

Yep, it went on a bit as well. I genuinely wore three watches at once on one gig and showed photo evidence. Beat that for anarchy, Sex Pistols.

• Haha 2

I've only ever fired a guitarist once. It was not a happy experience.

He was on and off in his attendance with the band, but we could play as a guitar / bass / drums trio without him.
Eventually he came into an inheritance and gave his notice in.

With about 5 gigs to go, we trooped across country from Manchester to Knaresborough, where we were supporting The Quireboys in a small theatre. They were playing acoustic, so we had to knock together a suitable set to do the same.

When I arrived at the theatre in the afternoon, I got an anguished call from the departing guitarist, saying he couldn't get there as his car had broken down. With just a guitar and small amp to carry, I'd have got on the train as soon as my car was hauled to safety, One of us would have brought him back. This left us in the lurch - playing songs in a new way a man down and with our solitary guitarst playing them on a Stratacoustic that he wasn't familiar with.

When I relayed the bad news to our guitarist, he said that the missing guitarist had been talking to one of his guitar students and he had said he would do anything to get out of the gig. Our guitarist was told this a few days BEFORE the gig, so the phone call was partly anticipated.

We remaining members did the gig and played well (despite the Quireboys guitarist being awkward at some length about the stage lights, thus depriving us of a soundcheck, for which Spike went out of his way to apologise) but it was not really as it should have been. We then had a vote and when I got home, I rang to let the missing guitarist out of the remaining gigs, seeing as he had no transport to get to them. He went berserk down the phone at me, threatening me with all sorts of violence.

If someone doesn't fit, or mucks you about, or has some problem with the band, get rid quick.

We never saw him again.

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 3

As for the use of ipads and such..

I have a kindle fire attached to my mic stand at gigs so that I can play an intro drone sound to start the gig and a siren during Blockbuster in the second half.

If I need a cheat sheet for anything, it goes on my monitor, and I have a set list on the PA where I can read it.
I wouldn't dream of tinkering with an ipad for lyrics.

82050402_3113994145281604_40137643066832

I don't tinker with the iPad for lyrics, I have a bluetooth footpedal.

Generally I don't tend to use it much for lyrics, it does the sound. it used to do all the sound, but now I also use an X-Touch controller, so just for the initial setup, and it also runs a synth for footpedals.

6 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I think Messrs Meddows-Taylor and May might actually have been better if they'd been fronted by an actual iPad.  They honestly need to stop, it's destroying whatever's left of their legacy.

I can imagine how that  phone call might have gone...

<ring ring>

<Go for Brian May>

<Air hair lair, I am the chief of organizing The Queen's Jubilee next year and you are on the list!>

< sod off, I retired>

Not.