Why become a member? ×

Firing band members

jezzaboy

We are re forming our tribute band and needed a new lead guitarist. Had a guy down a couple of weeks ago and he was not to bad and seemed like an alright guy. There was just me, drummer and rhythm guitarist present.

During the week past, we had him down again along with the female vocalist. This time the guitarist was all over the place playing wise and had a bit of an attitude towards the singer who uses an i pad for lyrics as she is just learning some of the songs. He was a bit vocal about the i pad saying it was unprofessional and generally acting like he was a seasoned pro and she was listen to him.

After the rehearsal, the drummer was ready to give him both barrel`s and the rhythm guitarist wanted him gone because his playing was so bad. After thinking about it for a few days, I made the call and let him know we had spoken about the events the other night and that he was out. He asked why so I told him but he didn`t accept the way we saw it and why would he?. He then tried to stir the sh*t with the singer saying he didn`t meant to offend her and telling her we wanted shot of her which isn`t the case. In the end up we blocked him and hopefully that`s the last we will hear from him.

This is first time I have ever sacked anyone from a band and it wasn`t a nice experience. I thought I was doing the right thing by calling him and telling him the reason but after the call I came to the conclusion that he is just full of himself and no matter what I said, he would still feel aggrieved. All we are looking for is someone to play the parts and be a decent guy but it seems that is hard to find.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

We are re forming our tribute band and needed a new lead guitarist. Had a guy down a couple of weeks ago and he was not to bad and seemed like an alright guy. There was just me, drummer and rhythm guitarist present.

During the week past, we had him down again along with the female vocalist. This time the guitarist was all over the place playing wise and had a bit of an attitude towards the singer who uses an i pad for lyrics as she is just learning some of the songs. He was a bit vocal about the i pad saying it was unprofessional and generally acting like he was a seasoned pro and she was listen to him.

After the rehearsal, the drummer was ready to give him both barrel`s and the rhythm guitarist wanted him gone because his playing was so bad. After thinking about it for a few days, I made the call and let him know we had spoken about the events the other night and that he was out. He asked why so I told him but he didn`t accept the way we saw it and why would he?. He then tried to stir the sh*t with the singer saying he didn`t meant to offend her and telling her we wanted shot of her which isn`t the case. In the end up we blocked him and hopefully that`s the last we will hear from him.

This is first time I have ever sacked anyone from a band and it wasn`t a nice experience. I thought I was doing the right thing by calling him and telling him the reason but after the call I came to the conclusion that he is just full of himself and no matter what I said, he would still feel aggrieved. All we are looking for is someone to play the parts and be a decent guy but it seems that is hard to find.

Think you’re right on the money there. Ten bonus points for calling him in person rather than using a text 

agree 100% with @Lozz196; better now than farther on down the road which sounds totally guaranteed based on what you wrote 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 4

Sounds like you've done well to get rid early. I recently learned the hard way that the audition process has to take weeks, it's when people think they're "in" that the bad habits and personality issues surface, or you see they're just a one trick pony. Well done on the phone call too.

• Like 3

I've done it a couple of times. Kicking someone out is never a pleasant task but you went about it in a respectful and dignified way. The way the guy responded, with neither respect nor dignity, emphatically shows you made the right decision. Onwards and upwards.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

I've done it a couple of times. Kicking someone out is never a pleasant task but you went about it in a respectful and dignified way. The way the guy responded, with neither respect nor dignity, emphatically shows you made the right decision. Onwards and upwards.

People take it personally. I remember being ghosted after going to an audition once. Was pretty horrid experience.

• Like 1

Sounds like you've dodged a bullet. The scene after a couple of rehearsals is going to be significantly less than 6 months in a band with a guy like this. 

My experience is that some people take it as a relief, some people are fine but get a bit sulky afterwards and some people get silly from the off. I guess your true personality comes out, depending on how it is done. 

Sounds like you've been more than fair and he's shown is true colours.

• Like 3

I work with a professional singer. She uses an iPad. So there's one of his arguments out the window.

There's a saying: all you can do is keep your side of the street clean. You can't control how others react to you. Sounds like you have played your part quite correctly, the other guy was the c°ck.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

ipad useage for a front singer depends on the band. As a tribute band, I'd hope that everybody was off ipads/charts

OP's scenario was only a rehearsal.  Can't see any issues here.

• Like 10

I've had to sack several people from bands - it's always a band discussion (minus the soon to be ex-member) that results in the decision to dump them - and when it comes to 'so who is going to tell them' it's usually me! One guy took it very well, he was relieved not to have to quit, one kicked up a fuss and one just decided it was their decision to leave. 

I've had the push from one band - hadn't been with them long, wasn't impressed with the material, and had a better offer so told them I'd honour the gig commitments but then I'd leave, but they told me to off off with immediate effect, so I did.

• Like 2

We had to 'let someone go' once. I was chosen as the bearer of the news and rang him up to explain (generally poor attitude and specifically refusing to play an encore at a nicely paid club gig because he didn't like the song). It wasn't pleasant, mainly because he hadn't seen it coming and was upset, but we owed him the courtesy of a phone call. Years later I met him again at one of our gigs and he ended up taking photos for us. 

It's always good to take a professional attitude, deal with issues early and regardless of the problem, treat the person as you would want to be treated.

• Like 6

As the thread seems to have gone on this tangent - the last two shows I went to (Peter Hook and The Mission), both singers used iPads. They didn't perform to them, they were simply there as a safety net. Nobody cared and we all enjoyed the show(s). 

I kind of grow tired of all these pious statements (aimed at the guitarist in the OP and a few pompous friends on FB) about iPads on stage, clip on tuners on headstocks etc. Does it *really* matter? If the performer is glued to the iPad or the musician is loudly tuning up through the PA, fair point, but otherwise... 

• Like 3

There's a book written about management called 'the no *rsehole rule', where they don't care how good you are, you're not getting employed if you're an *rsehole. If you're doing a band for fun that rule applies.

• Like 4

Well, I've been on the other end, when the lead singer/band leader, fired the whole band but later (as I found out) asked back two of the four of us. My crime? probably my wanting to spice up his rudimentary basslines. We were mostly playing his dreary sub Bryan Ferry songs so I was happy to be gone.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

Seems you’ve dealt with it perfectly. Hell, you even took the time to properly consider it rather than jumping straight to it during or after the rehearsal. 

It’s a rubbish thing to have to boot someone, and it’s rubbish to be told it too. All you can do is be straight, non-emotional and non-confrontational, which it sounds like you were. How that’s then taken by the other party isn’t on you.

Hope you get someone in who works for you all without much hassle. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the positive comments, it`s making me feel a bit better about the way it went down. I agree that we dodged a bullet as he was just going to be trouble in the long run. Re the singers i pad. She stated up front that it is being used as a "safety net" at the moment but by the time we are ready to gig, hopefully she won`t need it.

On a slightly more happy point, when I had the advert up, another guy contacted me about the guitar slot but this was after we had invited the first guy down. Luckily I kept his details and after speaking to him this morning, he has agreed to come along next week and have a play with us. The guy knows his stuff and I was on the phone for 50 mins shooting the breeze so fingers crossed!

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Graham said:

I've not had to fire anyone from a band, but have done so at work a few times.

It's never a fun experience, but you're generally left with the feeling it was the right decision

Same here. 
Also you generally know by someone’s reaction whether they’re likely to repeat the behaviours that led to dismissal in the first place.
Had a few that just went round different departments/regions getting booted out. Some who took on board feedback and adjust attitude and behaviour, tend to be better for it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boodang said:

There's a book written about management called 'the no *rsehole rule', where they don't care how good you are, you're not getting employed if you're an *rsehole. If you're doing a band for fun that rule applies.

Slight (ok large) tangent, David Niven often got acting roles over bigger names, because he was easier to work with.

• Like 1