Why become a member? ×

Alec John Such passes away

sykilz

Yeah, think him and Tico were a bit older than Jon and Richie.

Those first 4/5 Bon Jovi albums have some great bass lines on, perfect pop /rock records IMO.

My own personal favourite is 7800 Fahrenheit  , love that album played over and over back in the day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Shame though must admit he was older than I thought, I reckoned on them all being about 5 years older than me so early 60s.

AJS & Tico Torres (the drummer) were a fair bit older than the rest of the original band. 

5 hours ago, sykilz said:

Those first 4/5 Bon Jovi albums have some great bass lines on, perfect pop /rock records IMO.

My own personal favourite is 7800 Fahrenheit  , love that album played over and over back in the day.

Fahrenheit is my favourite album too, still own it on cassette. RIP AJS.

Runaway is one of the first bass lines I learnt (never realised it was JBJ singing that high bit at the end?!)

9 hours ago, sykilz said:

Weren’t a lot of those bass parts actually played by Hugh Macdonald? Sad to hear of AJS passing. 

• Like 1

It's all a bit of a shared job I think , there are differing opinions, but it seems Alec played all the bass on 7800, parts of the first album, but then Hugh did the studio work and Alec played live. Strangely, at the time ( no internet then, kids) none of my crowd who were massive Bon Jovi fans even knew that the band used other members, but to be honest it was all about Jon and Richie back then, they were the stars. In my mind Alec will always be MY Bon Jovi bassist. ( no disrespect to Hugh who's a great player)

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

Other way around, I think. Hugh was used for some, but not all, of the studio stuff while Alec performed live. Alec was one of the five, though, he was part of the core band in a way Hugh never was.

I looked into this out of curiosity when I started with a Bon Jovi tribute band.  For his debut recording Runaway an 18 yr old Jon Bongiovi used the recording studio's house band which included Hugh on bass.  Hugh is on record (!) as saying he recorded all the parts on all the albums (and wrote a lot of them, I believe) but Alec toured as he was a better fit visually.  Then booze/drugs took their toll and once Alec's live performances began to suffer he and the band parted company.  Hugh (who was even older than Alec) became a part of the touring band although initially he was left out of the pulicity shots.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JJTee said:

And me. Followed by Whitesnake 87 and then New Jersey. Then GNR, Metallica, Slayer. Now it’s a bit of anything.

I always group Slippery with Europe's the Final Countdown. I think they were released around the same time and I might even have bought both on the same day.