Why become a member? ×

Orange bass amplifiers

nbaptista

I went to a musicshop to buy a bass amplifier and the seller advice me the Fender Rumble 15 or 25. He told me that the Fender had more attack that the Orange and the sound was more pure!I bought the Fender based on his advice but another day I went in the shop again  and asked to hear the Orange. I really liked the sound, but for me the bass lines had a bit coloration, the sound is not so pure!But I like it, it´s a good bass amplifier.What can you tell me about the Orange bass amplifiers compared to Fender?Yes, I know, now I´ve got the Fender and I can´t send it back, but in the future who knows if I would buy a Orange Crush 25 watts just for fun?It is a more modern sound, the Fender is more classic, if you know what I mean!

I have an Orange Crush 25. Its a nice home amp and has an in-built tuner, which is very useful for quick noodles on the bass. The sound is very warm and coloured. Its almost impossible to get a really clean sound, eg, a Fender Jazz slap type sound. However, I don't need that sound, as I play blues/rock/Americana, so its a good home practice amp for me. I couldn't say how it compares with a small Fender combo as I havent tried them. 

Orange amplifiers range from small digital combos, like the Crush 25, to powerful all-valve amps like the AD200B. They tend to sound quite 'traditional' (ie, warm, old school) but I would not say they are best for heavy rock or metal. As I said above, I play blues rock and Americana

• Like 1

I have the Crush 25 for practice, the Terror head for small gigs and the AD200B  for big shows. I love Orange and don't play heavy metal. Mine has done everything from power pop to alternative . Old school tones. I like Fender and Ampeg too but Orange are very consistent. 

• Like 1

You’ll see the (big) orange stuff in use a lot of the time with heavier bands. It does seem to be more a company for rock/metal but not exclusively.

Tiny practice amps is a different matter though

Edited by Bankai

Thumbs up from me on the Terror Bass head. Really simple eq (which I like) and very loud. I use the clean switch combined with pedal board for alternative sounds. Brilliantly portable too. Live sound engineers seems to really like the DI sound too (but needs padding). 

I have an Orange Crush 50, it's my first and only bass amp, but I have played on a 60W Roland cube, which perhaps a bit more transparent. But J really like my ora ge amp for home practice.. It's pretty loud for 50W perhaps even loud enough for a small venue gig, not sure it would keep up with full drum kit though. 

It sounds very decent for its price £250 new. 

On 05/06/2022 at 21:49, nbaptista said:

I have been reading on the Net that Orange amplifiers are best for hard rock and heavy metal. Is it right?

No. They are no better or worse than any other amp. Have a look at film of your favourite rock/metal bands performing. The bass players will be using many different brands.

Wasn't it you who was asking about EBS recently? I note you are talking about returning the combo you bought. I and others tried to warn you at the time not to buy gear without trying it first.

However, there is something far more important for you to consider. No 30 watt amp will be adequate for rock and heavy metal, once you add a drummer to the mix. Please don't waste your money buying small, low powered practice combos and hoping they will serve your purpose. They won't. They are not designed to do what you want them to do and they are nowhere near powerful enough.

• Like 1

On 12/06/2022 at 23:16, Dan Dare said:

However, there is something far more important for you to consider. No 30 watt amp will be adequate for rock and heavy metal, once you add a drummer to the mix. Please don't waste your money buying small, low powered practice combos and hoping they will serve your purpose. They won't. 

And an Orange 50 watts?

6 hours ago, nbaptista said:

And an Orange 50 watts?

53 minutes ago, Bankai said:

Not in the slightest.

Depends.

50 watts of solid state (digital) power is a practice amp.

A 50 watt all-valve amp or combo is a serious gigging rig ... the old Selmer Treble'n'Bass heads spring to mind.

@nbaptista you really need to tell us why you are buying an amp. Is this going to be used to gig with? If so, what sort of gigs (jazz, rock, heavy metal) and what size of gigs (wine bar, club, arena)?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Depends.

50 watts of solid state (digital) power is a practice amp.

A 50 watt all-valve amp or combo is a serious gigging rig ... the old Selmer Treble'n'Bass heads spring to mind.

@nbaptista you really need to tell us why you are buying an amp. Is this going to be used to gig with? If so, what sort of gigs (jazz, rock, heavy metal) and what size of gigs (wine bar, club, arena)?

I mean in this case he’ll be talking about the little Orange Crush 50 so it’ll be a hard no.

I appreciate an old Orange 50w valve head would be another matter.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2022 at 09:51, nbaptista said:

I am a guitarrist, not a bass player, I pretend the amplifier to practice. However I heard yesterday a 50 watts bass amp and is great, even for practice.Ok, to play with others I Will need more power 

It would have helped had you stated at the outset that you play guitar, not bass. This is a bass forum and we advise people on bass matters (many of us play guitar, too, but that isn't the point). You are asking in the wrong place. Seek guidance on guitar forums or go to a decent shop and take their advice. There's little point in asking repeated questions on here, especially as you don't give us any useful information about your needs (see Happy Jack's post above). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

It would have helped had you stated at the outset that you play guitar, not bass. This is a bass forum and we advise people on bass matters (many of us play guitar, too, but that isn't the point). You are asking in the wrong place. Seek guidance on guitar forums or go to a decent shop and take their advice. There's little point in asking repeated questions on here, especially as you don't give us any useful information about your needs (see Happy Jack's post above). 

Sounds to me that he is a guitarist experimenting or starting out with bass seeking our opinions on what amps are good in what context, also I have the impression he is not a native English speaker, so it's not always easy to articulate so well in a second or third language. 

Edited by Bobo_08
  • Like 2