Why become a member? ×

What gives you the most MUSICAL pleasure?

Mykesbass

Much as I love a great groove, and appreciate anything that is performed with real passion, my ultimate weakness is a lovely arrangement. Anything from Mozart's Grand Mass in Cm, to Elvis Costello or Robert Wyatt's Shipbuilding, via 1970s disco and Bacharach and David. A beautifully crafted arrangement gets me every time.

What does it for you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

What does it for you?

In general, close vocal harmonies. Particularly UK traditional folk, like sea shanties and some of Steeleye Span's songs. I would agree with you that a great arrangement hits the spot, too. 

When playing it's that moment when the band has come together and there's an undefinable thing happening, regardless of the song. 

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

Much as I love a great groove, and appreciate anything that is performed with real passion, my ultimate weakness is a lovely arrangement. Anything from Mozart's Grand Mass in Cm, to Elvis Costello or Robert Wyatt's Shipbuilding, via 1970s disco and Bacharach and David. A beautifully crafted arrangement gets me every time.

What does it for you?

Thought hard about this, as I love stuff ranging from flamenco to punk to Bluegrass to bagpipes to Bulgarian folk songs, but I guess if there is a single theme in music that moves me utterly, it’s to hear a perfect example of Northern Melancholia.  So music from Thomas Tallis and John Dowland, through to Jean Sibelius and Vaughan Williams, through to Joy Division, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Smiths, and Magazine.  Seems to be an entirely British / Scandinavian thing.

• Like 3

Yep, as much as I love listening to many different genres and learning different songs playing a great gig is where I get the most enjoyment, followed by a great rehearsal, studio work is third on my list.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

When playing it's that moment when the band has come together and there's an undefinable thing happening, regardless of the song. 

Yes, this when playing live. I guess for me it is very similar to the coming together on record of a great arrangement.

• Like 2

I've performed in many concerts. One of the best was Vaughan Williams Sea Symphony with the RLPO as the orchestra... Of the concerts for which I was the organiser, perhaps a full period instrument performance of the Monteverdi Vespers

What's music got to do with bass? GAS, buying and selling, sending cardboard boxes, researching gear, shredding at high speed, slapping ditto. Yes. Music? Can't see where that's come in.  I've been at this game 10 year and ent played any musik yet.  Ca't see the point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

I've performed in many concerts. One of the best was Vaughan Williams Sea Symphony with the RLPO as the orchestra... Of the concerts for which I was the organiser, perhaps a full period instrument performance of the Monteverdi Vespers

But what made them special for you?

3 minutes ago, lownote said:

What's music got to do with bass? GAS, buying and selling, sending cardboard boxes, researching gear, shredding at high speed, slapping ditto. Yes. Music? Can't see where that's come in.  I've been at this game 10 year and ent played any musik yet.  Ca't see the point.

Yeah, soz, shoulda posted this on a Land Rover forum...

3 hours ago, nilorius said:

About records - no answer possible, when gigging - finding that super tone and feeling the groove with other mussicians for superb result.

This. I just love when you are playing and you see a room full of people enjoying themselves and you think we are doing this.

• Like 8

For me, the most pleasurable part of playing music is definitely gigging. Don't get me wrong, I love the general feeling of having played a great gig as much as the next guy, and seeing a room full of people having a great time is absolutely rewarding, but for me it's actually much more about each individual performance. It's that thing with a bit of a life of its own that you create as a complete one-off in that room on that night. Even though it might be the same songs as last night it still reflects how you were all feeling, how the audience was reacting, and how you were feeding off each other as the night progressed. None of you could have done it on your own, all of you together will never do it quite the same again, and you can record it and video it and stream it but it'll never quite be the same as having actually been part of it. For me, it's all about being part of that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

But what made them special for you?

The RVW was the biggest concert I've sung in - it was a full house at the Royal Albert Hall. It was the whole experience of the planning, rehearsing, travelling, the day itself. The Sea Symphony is also a great piece to perform and most amateurs don't get a chance to do it because it requires enormous orchestral forces and a big venue.

• Like 1

The most fulfillment I have ever felt on stage has been mere bar jams. Two occasions stick out.

I was running an open mic and a young guy comes up rather diffidently asking if it would be ok for him to have a crack. He has a bunch of mates egging him on. We give him the guitar and he mentions he's never played in a band but he's going to do some originals and the house band is welcome to jam along. Mmmkay.

So the kid lets rip and it's pretty easy to find the groove so I jump in and drummer likewise. It's cooking. The kid can really sing. The crowd goes wild. The look on the kid's face was priceless.

Another one I was house bassist. A bunch of travelling South Americans took over filling the stage with everything but bass. I'm standing there getting more and more deer in headlights as the percussion groove builds on the guitar riffing and more guitarukey things chime in. It's going off. I spot this girl dancing her derrière off and suddenly I am informed by her hips where the bass sits in among all the swirling rhythms. We're off!!!! The girl finds another gear. Awesome.

• Like 4