Why become a member? ×

Sterling ray 34 history

la bam

Hi all, 

I know the sterling ray34s are held in high regard now, but it looks like theyve been out for years.

Does anyone know the history of these - ie are the 10 year old ones the same as the current ones in regard to hardware etc?

Thanks.

I had a couple of Ray 35s - a sunburst Made in Korea one from 2011 and the other, a black cherryburst made in Indonesia in 2016. The earlier Korean one had an ash body and a thin gloss coat on the neck whereas the other was mahogany with a satin finished neck. Both were very similar in feel though the Indonesian was a bit lighter. 
BA2467B8-766D-48F4-8A20-01AFF952D795.thumb.jpeg.47c6aefa3bc98b20446560c35fe59821.jpeg
I also had a Ray34CA which had the 2EQ preamp and slab body and was made in Indonesia and that one one was imo a higher build quality than the two five strings. The one I had was every bit as good as the Classic StingRay that replaced it, save for the fancier woods. It was in some ways a better fit for me (Jazz profile neck). A Stingray with a J neck is a great combination imo. 
789CE88D-FD3F-4353-BDFC-F01FD3B34CC8.thumb.jpeg.44492d3ff68bc95cd500525ee656f4b9.jpeg
This year I had a Ray34HH, again from Indonesia and the quality was up there. Roasted neck was lovely and in retrospect I should have kept it. 
95879DFA-C531-4317-A6AC-89646D36451B.thumb.jpeg.106e56a487bdeea2b7487e6e6f7d4014.jpeg

Not too sure that the electronics and hardware have changed much. They all sounded like StingRays to my cloth ears though I liked the 2EQ of the CA Classic Active best of all. 

I had one of the Ray34s when they came out about 10 years ago. I bought it as backup to an EBMM Stingray, and aside from its newness and (very) slightly toppier sound it was difficult to tell them apart playing wise.

9 minutes ago, dub_junkie said:

The tuners have never been the same quality as the USA ones afaik. They do the job though. 

The tuners on my ‘Ray SS had quite a bit of slop in them, held tune OK but slack to be annoying when tuning. Fitted some Hipshots, all good, as you’d expect. 

I remember the preamp in my original run, ‘Ray34 being a bit brittle and it was a bit weighty too IIRC. 

1 hour ago, grenadillabama said:

Maybe . With most active basses you have two "clicks" when you plug in all the way. I have made that mistake several times by not pushing the plug all the way in. Or a fault with Jack ??

Its pushed all the way in. But it only works with shielded cables. I've never had this before.

Sounds awesome though. Just a weird thing to be happening.

I have an older one I’ve tweaked a lot with different pickups and pre-amps. Got it how I want it now with the Delano hybrid MM/J set up and 2 band eq. Does active MM, passive J or active J. It’s a bit on the heavy side but I love the neck on this. Can’t get on with p bass necks but this one is ace.C96E7587-97B0-42A4-965E-30ABF7AE3418.thumb.jpeg.4bda0d195da17fd59a5a1b97a49332a9.jpegv

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Waddycall said:

I have an older one I’ve tweaked a lot with different pickups and pre-amps. Got it how I want it now with the Delano hybrid MM/J set up and 2 band eq. Does active MM, passive J or active J. It’s a bit on the heavy side but I love the neck on this. Can’t get on with p bass necks but this one is ace.C96E7587-97B0-42A4-965E-30ABF7AE3418.thumb.jpeg.4bda0d195da17fd59a5a1b97a49332a9.jpegv

That is almost every bass you'd ever need in one. Love it!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...