Why become a member? ×

Platty Joobs concert (apologies!) bass spotting

Clarky

4 minutes ago, three said:

Absolutely love that lilac Mullarkey - I didn't know JS had it (maybe there are a few around?)  Fabulous colour and I think it's the work of Bow Finishers - utterly superb.  I think Jimmy sold a 751 on here recently.  Good to see that he's still a user!  

I follow Viv on Instagram, so I’ve seen a few posts about that one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd8zVQbsImN/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, obbm said:

I wasn’t over impressed by the direction. Too much looking at the audience or computer graphics on Buck House and very little of the artists who were working their socks off.

Yes, I noticed that. Poor Mica Paris barely had a second of air time in close up and I think one of the two other singers she was with wasn't shown at all. Very poor direction during that segment.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

12 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I follow Viv on Instagram, so I’ve seen a few posts about that one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd8zVQbsImN/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Lovely - Viv seems to be using taller post (Kluson-like?) tuners for some builds at present - love this.  I'm sufficiently fortunate to own a Mullarkey but with modern Schallers - a mod may be the way (apologies for any thread derail!)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bassace said:

Queen could have been served better. Their sound should have been more forward. 

The whole weekend is about her, what more could she want? Good of you not to assume her/their gender though 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Bizarre to have a massive event with millions spent on it, celebrating everything British over the last 70 years........ and having Alicia Keys beltin out "New Yorkkkkk" for 10 minutes. And not to have a British act headline seemed a bit off the mark too.

In other areas, I dont like how Queens bassist never gets shown or any limelight, and the running order of everything never let the concert really get going - much too stop and start. I was impressed though to see John Taylor from Duran have that Trace Elliot.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, la bam said:

Bizarre to have a massive event with millions spent on it, celebrating everything British over the last 70 years........ and having Alicia Keys beltin out "New Yorkkkkk" for 10 minutes. And not to have a British act headline seemed a bit off the mark too.

In other areas, I dont like how Queens bassist never gets shown or any limelight, and the running order of everything never let the concert really get going - much too stop and start. I was impressed though to see John Taylor from Duran have that Trace Elliot.

I'm afraid Alicia Keys song will be forever associated with part of South Wales for me, so I count that as an honorary GB song

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, la bam said:

I was impressed though to see John Taylor from Duran have that Trace Elliot.

Looked like just a cab though, but then I guess all the amps were, at least for the most part, stage dressing and they’d be going direct or through a modeller.

3 hours ago, three said:

Lovely - Viv seems to be using taller post (Kluson-like?) tuners for some builds at present - love this.  I'm sufficiently fortunate to own a Mullarkey but with modern Schallers - a mod may be the way (apologies for any thread derail!)

I'm not jealous (I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, repeat until envy abates - could be a while).

• Like 1

Oh, and another thing - as somebody with type 2 diabetes, I feel there should have been a health warning before the programme, for all the sickeningly sugary compliments being paid to Her Maj at every artist changeover. Had to O/D on metformin to bring my blood sugar back down.

• Haha 5

I've just watched Rod Stewart butchering 'Sweet Caroline' on the iPlayer.

Good grief, the first few lines he sounds like a terrible Dolly Parton Tribute singer, singing some obscure Country number, that no one knows (including himself) - what happened to the tune?

:(

:D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lowdown said:

Good grief, the first few lines he sounds like a terrible Dolly Parton Tribute singer, singing some obscure Country number, that no one knows (including himself) - what happened to the tune?

Rod's been an advert for cough medicine for years - he sounds awful. I guess a life of luxury and model railways isn't enough for him!

• Haha 1

Just now, lowdown said:

The tune probably went off to join ‘What a wonderful world’ following Celeste’s annihilation of it......🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve only watched the first hour, it was just too boring. Dreadful direction, I don’t want to watch audience members singing along to songs they don’t know! And as for the choice of artists 👎 it should definitely have been British only 🇬🇧. I expect the Queen was quite pleased not to have to attend. There was nothing there that would have appealed to her taste. She might have enjoyed an evening of Catherine Jenkins singing the songbook of Vera Lynn.

I heard Giles Brandreth say hat Prince Philip once said to him “ well at least it wasn’t Elton John” so that’s one singer the royals don’t like. I suspect Prince Charles would have chosen the 3 Degrees.

Sir Rod said in an interview he was told to sing Sweet Caroline by the BBC, why?

Utter waste of time and money, PM deserves a vote of no confidence just for letting it go ahead IMHO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Sir Rod said in an interview he was told to sing Sweet Caroline by the BBC, why?

Mrs C reliably tells me that Prince George loves the song and that's why Rod Stewart was told to sing it (and explains why the BBC kept cutting to Kate and George singing away during the song). Doesn't excuse the performance, mind

4 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Mrs C reliably tells me that Prince George loves the song and that's why Rod Stewart was told to sing it (and explains why the BBC kept cutting to Kate and George singing away during the song). Doesn't excuse the performance, mind

Should've got somebody with a voice to sing it then, not (insert derogatory description of your own choosing here). Anyway the gig wasn't for George, why did he get a favourite?*

*Irritable, rhetorical question, no answers required.

Have to agree - that Rod was dire; but Diana Ross was poor - clearly she was fiddling with her IEM controller and couldn't decide whether to take off the stole or not. Duran Duran were the highlight for me. 
Still wonder who was the grumpy woman was sat behind Prince William?