Why become a member? ×

The Joy of the Ray

Guest BassAdder27

15 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve gone for 50-105 Ernie Ball coated rounds, figure the higher gauge D & G should help on the naturally high sound of the ‘Ray. Usually use Elixirs but couldn’t find any if their 50-105s anywhere, plus EB strings on an EB bass, should work nicely, certainly sound nice online.

I think I will try that gauge as I do find the G and D a tad feeble compared to the E and A 

I just checked my pickup height and set it 5mm from our plastic to underside of string 

4 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

Hardly a reason and definitely not why it’s up for sale ( but now withdrawn ) I do  prefer my PBass though ..

So I’m looking to mod the Ray and get a deeper fuller tone from it 

Not sure how but maybe a different pickup / preamp ? 

John East does a 2 band Stingray Pre at a reasonable price. I had a 2 band EQ in my USA Stingray SUBs and the 2 band EQ does have a darker tone, like a P bass on steroids.

Edited by gjones

5 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

So I’m looking to mod the Ray and get a deeper fuller tone from it 

Not sure how but maybe a different pickup / preamp ? 

Just guessing here, but have you tried stainless steel strings on it? Might something like DR Lo-Riders bring out the depth of the tone? 

What drew me to the StingRay was the sound. When I were a nipper and just starting out on bass at the start of the 80s, I noticed that a lot of my favourite artists were playing them and then it clicked what was making that particular bass sound I liked. Typically they were out of production at the time so I couldn't buy a new one, but stumbled across a second-hand StingRay in a shop on Soho Square in 1984 and bought it. Still got it, and it's still my go to bass. :)

Edited by matski
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve gone for 50-105 Ernie Ball coated rounds, figure the higher gauge D & G should help on the naturally high sound of the ‘Ray. Usually use Elixirs but couldn’t find any if their 50-105s anywhere, plus EB strings on an EB bass, should work nicely, certainly sound nice online.

This is my thought process too. Buy strings that were built for that bass! Obviously there are other good strings out there but I just use stainless steel Ernie Ball's on mine. Now I've got an ABM600 I'm loving my Stingray more and more. Soich more I treated it to a custom scratchplate today with the band logo on it...

IMG20220713125354.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

This is my thought process too. Buy strings that were built for that bass! Obviously there are other good strings out there but I just use stainless steel Ernie Ball's on mine. Now I've got an ABM600 I'm loving my Stingray more and more. Soich more I treated it to a custom scratchplate today with the band logo on it...

IMG20220713125354.jpg

Are you running the ABM600 with Shape engaged ? Button out ? With the Ray 

56 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Still discovering. I had it disengaged first time I used it live. I've got a gig Friday night but unlikely to use the Ray as I need it fresh for a big gig Saturday afternoon.

1 hour ago, BassAdder27 said:

Id sincerely hope not - the shape control is incredibly scooped on an ABM. The last thing you need with a Stingray! (I think you press it in to engage it??!!)

I’ve found with the 3 band Ray pictured further back in this thread, having bass and treble very slightly boosted and mid cut about 80% (amp EQ all flat - filters off) creates an excellent all round tone - when guitars get low and crunchy and I need to hear the higher notes better (eg G string), I bring back the mids more - works perfectly - the more scooped the sound the less audible (next to the amp) higher notes are. The same is true if you’re using a fretless or playing harmonics. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

On Mon when I picked up my new 3-band EQ we put it through the ABM600 with the Shape engaged, Drive at midday and it sounded amazing, really rich and solid, removed the overly middy aspect nicely, probably the best sound I`ve ever had from a `Ray.

Just had a few minutes and the tone played with a pick is fantastic !

Shape Engaged ( too middy if not ) and treble and mids backed off on Ray results in a full punchy tone.

Seems like the Ray like this is better than the PBass whereas the PBass to me is still a fuller finger style.

For folk who say don’t use Shape Engaged ( I agree but ) if you adjust the EQ and put back mids and high mids you get a very full punchy sound with a lot of depth when pick playing 

Im getting there I think 

On 09/07/2022 at 20:32, Duarte said:

Her in Thailand about 50% of music Man basses you see for sale look like that. Rusted pole pieces too. I wondered what the hell they do to their basses here!

yes ...my one has rusted poles as well...it's good to know i'm not the only one with these issues.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2022 at 03:32, Duarte said:

Her in Thailand about 50% of music Man basses you see for sale look like that. Rusted pole pieces too. I wondered what the hell they do to their basses here!

just went back to the philippines after four years ....here's the stingray still in tune after being left in a humid dusty room ...strings are terrible but the action is perfect...the paint cracks are trailing over the back and around the neck pockets. 

... the neck feels very light and has a distinctive kiln baked type finish going on now...im sure it wasn't like that when i first bought it ...this ray is ageing in a good way. 

FF5DF87F-A1F5-4E6B-B1EC-4265F6401330.jpeg

Edited by Musicman666
  • Like 2

This has appeared before but reposted - my preEB beaten to hell stingray which I've owned since 2006.  I nearly lost it on the way to a gig, after leaving it behind on the street in Shepherds Bush.  Thankfully a friendly and astute neighbour rescued it from being salvaged by a couple of meth heads.  One thing I will never have to worry about though is dinging it.  I have a ray because it's got a uniquely muscular sound and a coarse, rasping treble. 

DSCF0164.JPGDSCF0162.JPG

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

This has appeared before but reposted - my preEB beaten to hell stingray which I've owned since 2006.  I nearly lost it on the way to a gig, after leaving it behind on the street in Shepherds Bush.  Thankfully a friendly and astute neighbour rescued it from being salvaged by a couple of meth heads.  One thing I will never have to worry about though is dinging it.  I have a ray because it's got a uniquely muscular sound and a coarse, rasping treble. 

DSCF0164.JPGDSCF0162.JPG

that's the beauty ....the first ding is the deepest but now who cares??... you can just enjoy it without worrying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Musicman666 said:

that's the beauty ....the first ding is the deepest but now who cares??... you can just enjoy it without worrying.

It's a pub rawk bass.  Only thing is, I don't play pub rawk. 

But if I did...

• Like 1

Well it seems that I’m now a fully paid up member of the Stingray Fan Club. With the combination of the 3EQ rosewood fretboard Stingray & Ernie Ball Coated 50-105s through my Ampeg SCR-DI I’ve finally got a bass sound from a ‘Ray that I absolutely love. I’m going to try it in the classic rock band on Thu (if our drummer has recovered from the curvid).

• Like 4

Tried my ‘Ray with the band at rehearsal on Thu. Sounded good, a fair bit tighter sounding than my Precision, but I just couldn’t relax into it, I’m so ingrained into hearing a Precision sound when I play that it just didn’t seem like me that was playing. I’m def keeping it as I love playing it at home but for band use it will stay as my trusty Precisions.

I feel the Ray34 is an amazing bass to play, comfortable feel and balanced.

Having said that I do love my PBass and I’m going to stick with that and sell on my nearly new Ray34 on here 

Tough decision and someone looking for a Ray34 will get a great bass at a reduced price. 

I’m digging my shorty ‘Ray more and more. When I need something a bit more P like, I can just select the single coil and it’s pretty close (it selects the neck coil). Is it pure P tone? Nah, but it’s not bad at all. Now that the EBMM Sterling seems to be rarer these days, I wonder why they don’t stick a series/parallel/single selector on long scale ‘Ray4s. It’s a great option to have.

• Like 1

I've only got the peasant spec Sterling Ray34 and I did have a matching Ray35. 

I love the huge tones I can get out of it with tons of bottom and and plenty of treble as well to give it some character. 

I hated the tone until someone told me to set all 3 tone knobs to minimum and add in what I need instead of starting from the middle position. It works great with a nice bit of valve overdrive. My Cali76 compressor and Two Notes Le Bass both seem to compliment it extremely well.

I also find it really comfortable. 

• Like 1

I’ve never really got around to buying a stingray, I’ve been tempted with the 2 pickup grey sparkle ones, Clinton fearon’s bass player Mato Cirade play’s one and gets a really nice reggae tone, not sure what model it is , I think it’s one?

C5009B73-5DF9-4811-BAF7-B203D157C897.jpeg

Edited by Reggaebass

Where do I start?!

I love the way it looks - similar enough to a Preccy/Jazz to be an instant classic, but the funny shaped scratchplate, smiley eq plate, 3+1 tuners on that cute little headstock, and a bridge that would make Isambard Kingdom Brunel blush... you just know it's something special. 

I wanted one from the minute I saw one.

The way it plays... the pickup is in *just* the right place to rest your thumb, and the neck is absolutely perfect... narrow enough to get your fingers round, but wide enough to give it that 'heft' that makes it feel like a seriously solid instrument.

And then there's the sound!
Punchy enough to poke holes in the walls, never mind cut through a mix, and the three band EQ gives you an incredible range of sounds- cut-glass highs, in-your-face mids, and the Bass control gives you the Biggest of Big Bottom....

TL;DR - I like my StingRay.

• Like 2